Manual point levers

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
My latest project - manual point levers which look more realistic than the LGB versions which they are replacing.
IMG_2119.JPGIMG_2120.JPGIMG_2123.JPG

I've blogged how I did it for those who might be interested

Rik

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice, Rik! :)

For those of us who lack the necessary time, skills or both to self-build them, Bertram Heyn produces similar levers in several configurations - but like almost everything, money and time/effort go in inverse proportion... ;)

Jon.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Isn't there the disadvantage that you lose the "push-through" effect with this type of level?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Isn't there the disadvantage that you lose the "push-through" effect with this type of level?

If you look at Rik's build blog link for these, he does mention that the push-through still works in the configuration shown, but wouldn't if he increased the lever throw so that the lever lies horizontally.

I'd assume that what you DO lose is the return-spring effect after a push-through, so you'd have to take that into account during operations.

Jon.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
If you look at Rik's build blog link for these, he does mention that the push-through still works in the configuration shown, but wouldn't if he increased the lever throw so that the lever lies horizontally.

I'd assume that what you DO lose is the return-spring effect after a push-through, so you'd have to take that into account during operations.

Jon.
Yes, trailing through switches it to the other direction. I've not yet experimented with shifting the position of the pivot hole to see if it will produce a spring loaded effect. I might have to play around with the mass and or position of the balance weight as well.

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice, Rik! :)

For those of us who lack the necessary time, skills or both to self-build them, Bertram Heyn produces similar levers in several configurations - but like almost everything, money and time/effort go in inverse proportion... ;)

Jon.
Yes, mine are similar to Bertram's but I hope they are sufficiently different for me to avoid plagiarism. After all, the design of a point lever is fairly universal isn't it?

I'd like to have produced one which pivots parallel to the rails but chickened out of producing a bell crank mechanism which would work reliably given my very basic workshop tools and expertise.

Rik

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, mine are similar to Bertram's but I hope they are sufficiently different for me to avoid plagiarism. After all, the design of a point lever is fairly universal isn't it?

I'd like to have produced one which pivots parallel to the rails but chickened out of producing a bell crank mechanism which would work reliably given my very basic workshop tools and expertise.

Rik
I think the version that you have done is better than a parallel one as this gives an indication of how the point is laying, though I do accept that there may well be places where a bellcrank and there may be locations that require such an option due to space concerns.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag

Rik

Absolutely, Rik - you've just both made models of the same real prototype, nothing wrong with that! :)

Bertram's range does include parallel levers with bellcranked linkages, you could almost certainly build a similar one with your methods I would have thought.... a simple bellcrank piece from the sheet brass, with a bolt for it to pivot on?

Jon.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I've used a Gauge 3 point lever, slightly modified to ensure a longer throw (theoretically the throw was just adequate). It might take a while, but I'll see if I can remember who makes them.

Cast brass, works very nicely on my USAT #6 :nod::nod: I extended the throw, just to make sure

Mike Williams - Williams Gauge 3 Models

Point lever LS02

Last edited:

OLD FELLA

Registered
15 Aug 2020
SUFFOLK
Best answers
Country flag
I have followed many of your "adventures on Youtube and here on the Forum. Very impressed with your Levers. May I ask if your are or will be disposing of the replaced LGB Levers -- as I have need for a goodly number of them!

As a relatively recent entry into the world of R/C Battery I have settled on using hand levers for all my points. I settled on using Fosworks as my supplier -- and have enjoyed a most pleasant liason with Steve Foster. I am running a selection of LGB Locos, and have become quite proficient at converting to R/C. Half the challenge is fitting all the wire into the spaces available!!! Between your exploits and Steve, I have been very fortunate in the guidance I have received.

Best regards,
Oliver, the Old Fella

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have followed many of your "adventures on Youtube and here on the Forum. Very impressed with your Levers. May I ask if your are or will be disposing of the replaced LGB Levers -- as I have need for a goodly number of them!

As a relatively recent entry into the world of R/C Battery I have settled on using hand levers for all my points. I settled on using Fosworks as my supplier -- and have enjoyed a most pleasant liason with Steve Foster. I am running a selection of LGB Locos, and have become quite proficient at converting to R/C. Half the challenge is fitting all the wire into the spaces available!!! Between your exploits and Steve, I have been very fortunate in the guidance I have received.

Best regards,
Oliver, the Old Fella
Indeed Steve is a good egg.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag

Best regards,
Oliver, the Old Fella
Hi Oliver.
Sorry, only just seen your post. I will be getting rid of my old LGB levers but it will take a while. I'll be fitting in the replacement of the old levers bit by bit in between doing more urgent jobs. I'll certainly bear you in mind when I accumulate a decent handful of old levers. Feel free to pm me every so often to jog my memory.

Rik

OLD FELLA

Registered
15 Aug 2020
SUFFOLK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Oliver.
Sorry, only just seen your post. I will be getting rid of my old LGB levers but it will take a while. I'll be fitting in the replacement of the old levers bit by bit in between doing more urgent jobs. I'll certainly bear you in mind when I accumulate a decent handful of old levers. Feel free to pm me every so often to jog my memory.

Rik
Hello Rik,
Many thanks for your reply. I am in the midst of a major expansion to the Railway, so there's no panic yet!
Oliver

Reactions: 1 user