dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
As a result of a new members discussion of the High Speed Dashes of his Mamod, I thought that a thread on Conversions would be in order. In the late 80's not too long after the initial introduction there was a complete cottage industry of parts and conversions available. Some of these parts are still produced. Wheels, Boilers, Pistons etc were all available to transform a Mamod. Never done it myself, but I had one and bought a load of parts to do it but got into better products ans sold the bits on.

The following vids may give some inspiration tomwhat can be achieved and not only by using the Railes version, some are Stationary Engine conversions. My particular favourite is the Bush Conversion in the first vid.

The De Winton type is already a geared beast so that much better, but probably could do with better Regulator and other add on parts.

Radio Control can make a big difference:-

Would be good if anyone can link a Geared Drive Conversion that maintaines the look and feel of the original Mamod Locomotive.
JonD

TLR

anything to do with model L/S loco's boats etc
24 Oct 2009
Clacton on sea Essex
Best answers
I have a couple of Mamod locos both were kits, the first one has higher boiler pressure new wheels [ these were Brandbright 6 hole RSA29 30mm diameter] oil lubricator and pistons with O rings packing glands and a gas burner, this combination gave it reasonable control.
The second one is more of a rolling test bed, at the moment it has morphed into a 0-6-0 using RSA29 wheels
new frames to make it 2" longer a centre flue boiler with gas poker, cylinders with O rings packing glands, regulator and oil lubricator, incidently both engines have dead leg oilers tee into the steam feed to the cylinders after it has been super heated by the gas burners, no problem with carbonised pipe work.

Shaun
PS
Unfortunately the new Brandbright dos'n't sell the RSA29 wheels at the moment.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Uphill? UPHILL?!! With a Mamod!
I thoroughly enjoyed my Mamod, I stll have it, but its pulling powers were almost a negative value.
I thought I had a level lawn until the Mamod proved otherwise.
However, it would run and run on a boiler full of ready boiled water. Consuming 2 fuel tablets before emptying.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I have a Major Brunel, it's a bit eccentric to say the least! It will run for ever with the first steam-up, but if you run it again before it's cooled down to cold, it is a . It will slow down to a crawl and then take of like a scalded . I think it's something to do with the lubrication, it seems to dump most of the steam oil within the first couple of minutes. Wouldn't change it for the world though, always gets a smile at running sessions. :rofl:I'm sorry but it's a Mamod Brunel, auto spell went mad

Last edited: