Roundhouse Jennie or Mamod Stirling

Nighthaunt

Registered
7 Dec 2014
Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All,

Unusually for me not on DCC pondering the nightmare of potentially having to invest in a soldering iron.

I’ve been lucky and got awarded a bonus at work, and am pondering investing in a live steam loco. I picked up an Accucraft Dora but am considering either the Roundhouse Jennie or Mamod Stirling and wondered what the opinion of people who know something about live steam locos was - which suits an absolute beginner more? Is one better than another?

Many thanks for any pointers or thoughts

Alex

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
If you can afford it a Roundhouse will give you good performance and reliability. Their former advertising stance of ‘Sure as Sunrise’ claim was and still is well justified. As with all live steam there is a learning and familiarisation process, I would suggest that you join the 16mm society and attend a couple of local meetings where you will not only get advice but be able to see locomotives being readied for service and running.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
If you have flat and level track, a manual loco is fine, however if like me, you have gradients it need to be RC, and you need to drive the loco, unlike electric driven locos steam one slow considerably going up, and speed up coming down hills, and if you have a curve at the bottom of the gradient, it can lead to disaster (I am sure you know, how I know ;)).

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
One advantage of a Mamod over a Roundhouse loco, apart from the cost, is that it keeps you fit running after it!
Having said that, they are fun to have.

Nighthaunt

Registered
7 Dec 2014
Kent
Best answers
Country flag
both locos are about the same cost and both gas driven boilers - seems little to differentiate which surprised me.

Would have preferred insulated wheels but think not available on Roundhouse basic range so guessing not on Mamod Stirling either.

Good points on R/C - might be a project to add later

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Roundhouse do sell or can add insulated wheels at an extra cost, however some RH locomotives will not accept them. I think these are the slip eccentric valve geared fitted locomotives. These you have to give a slight push to set the direction of travel thus making Radio control except for the regulator only feasible.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
both locos are about the same cost and both gas driven boilers - seems little to differentiate which surprised me.

Would have preferred insulated wheels but think not available on Roundhouse basic range so guessing not on Mamod Stirling either.

Good points on R/C - might be a project to add later
Need to know a bit more about how you will use the Loco, as dunnyrail dunnyrail says the slip eccentric gear requires a push to change gear, and as such not suitable for everybody, though still fun :)

Nighthaunt

Registered
7 Dec 2014
Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Both are slip eccentric. Just really love live steam so the odd day running in the garden on track that normally would be running LGB and Piko trains. Can always disconnect the power when running live steam

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Both are slip eccentric. Just really love live steam so the odd day running in the garden on track that normally would be running LGB and Piko trains. Can always disconnect the power when running live steam
Don't forget your steamers will drop all sorts of nasty gunk on your track, so cleaning after use wl be necessary

Nighthaunt

Registered
7 Dec 2014
Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Don't forget your steamers will drop all sorts of nasty gunk on your track, so cleaning after use wl be necessary
I can see the possibility of justification for a raised loop arising

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Roundhouse every time - operability, reliability and service. Can't beat them if you are a beginner.

If your budget will allow it go for a Katie, or similar from RH range - can accept RC (factory fitted if ordered) on reverser and regulator, insulated wheels and gauge adjustable 32/45 mm as standard. Gives you the maximum flexibility as your interests develop. 2nd hand viable from reputable dealer, might help meet your budget. Max

P.S. The Midland Garden Railway Show is on at the Warwickshire show centre, near Gaydon, off the M40, this weekend.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Roundhouse Jennie is a superb locomotive. I would choose the Jennie over the two other locomotives, it is in a different class altogether.