Mamod Brunel

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone got a Mamod Brunel? If so do you have problems with it slowing to an almost dead stop for no reason? I've had one for a few years, but have never really fathomed out why it will suddenly slow down and start crawling around, before shooting of again. It also seems to dump most of the steam oil within a few minutes, could the problems be related?
Paul

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone got a Mamod Brunel? If so do you have problems with it slowing to an almost dead stop for no reason? I've had one for a few years, but have never really fathomed out why it will suddenly slow down and start crawling around, before shooting of again. It also seems to dump most of the steam oil within a few minutes, could the problems be related?
Paul
Does it have a Preasure Gauge? If so watch the Gauge to see if there is a loss then return. The slow down and shot off sound like a reduction of Preasure which will slow the Loco down to a near stop which allows the pressure to recover causing the beast to shot off. This was a common issue with early Mamods, particularly apparent at unintentional grades and curves.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
It does have a gauge which seems to show a fairly constant pressure. I think it's just a quick. Istill think it's a great engine though.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
It does have a gauge which seems to show a fairly constant pressure. I think it's just a quick. Istill think it's a great engine though.
Does it slow down at the same location /s each time?

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
No it will slow down for no apparent reason, the pressure valve will be wide open, and plenty showing on the gauge. I think it may be something to do with the steam oil, but after a few seconds the engine will shoot off lick a little rocket again

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
No it will slow down for no apparent reason, the pressure valve will be wide open, and plenty showing on the gauge. I think it may be something to do with the steam oil, but after a few seconds the engine will shoot off lick a little rocket again
Hm wonder if it is something that gets warm and expands on movement that cools off some when stopped to allow the beast to set sail like a demented cat. Are you in the 16mm Association? If so may be worth asking on their chat site.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I am a member, but I've not had much luck with them. I still think it mayet be something to do with it dumping most of its steam oil within minutes of it going

Gardenbahner

Registered
10 Jul 2013
Best answers

If it's an older model, they did have an issue with the lubrication. Since then there has been a MII and now MKIII.

How to fix lubricator

Why not contact Mamod or Dream Steam to see if there is an upgrade available?

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
If it's an older model, they did have an issue with the lubrication. Since then there has been a MII and now MKIII.

How to fix lubricator

Why not contact Mamod or Dream Steam to see if there is an upgrade available?
That's great, I'll look into making one or getting an upgrade. Looking at the parting text re the new version, I must have the batch before the upgrade! Typical!!

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
So what looks like a solution has been found, who would have thought that a simple thing like a lubricator could have been made so wrong. Lessons not learnt!