Mamod Brunel Exhaust Steam Issues

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
No its not defective, yours is the new model. I've been trying to get hold of those bits to retro fit on mine, but I can't get any response from Mamod. I know I should be able to make one myself but......

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I call that defective. It's not a working lubricator.
One suggestion would be to fit a small lubricator before the cylinder one. Regner's just needs a T-connect.
Regner Displacement Lubricator 20204 - gardenrailways.co.uk
Use of a lot of or even all of the oil is not an uncommon problem with Dragons, note the occasional quick burst of dark smoke when first starting a run is often a sure sign that a lot has been used. Certainly the Regner system of having a screw to regulate the amount if oil used has merits. But that does imply the need for experience of ones loco to see just how much of a twiddle is required for the right dose of Steam Oil. Though to be fair I have never had a live steamer of any make squeek on me for the lack of oil or some kind of lubrication in the cylinders.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Use of a lot of or even all of the oil is not an uncommon problem with Dragons, note the occasional quick burst of dark smoke when first starting a run is often a sure sign that a lot has been used. Certainly the Regner system of having a screw to regulate the amount if oil used has merits. But that does imply the need for experience of ones loco to see just how much of a twiddle is required for the right dose of Steam Oil. Though to be fair I have never had a live steamer of any make squeek on me for the lack of oil or some kind of lubrication in the cylinders.
It causes major damage in the long term, and the locos tend to crawl around

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
It causes major damage in the long term, and the locos tend to crawl around
Perhaps I should have clarified, when I said lack of Oil I meant that a lot was used at the start of a run by the fact that there was clearly oil being burnt due to the dark smoke. I always always fill the oil reservoir prior to a run. And this does not appear to happen on every run, my locomotives are mostly Roundhouse but I have a couple of Angus Loco’s and likewise Regner. Never been noticed with the Regners or Angus but certainly Roundhouse also on occasion the Merlin’s before they were sold out of service.

RMurphy195

Registered
2 Feb 2020
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Well, at last I've got it working. The steam exhaust is a bit heat robinson (its a 4ba oil cup with a length of silicon hose attached). I've obtained some copper pip (3/16") which is a loose fit in the oil cup. I can either use this as an exhaust, or maybe tape-up a bit of 1/8 pipe, and push-fit into the oiler. Or something, but at least I'm running at last! And very pleased with the level of control I can get over its speed, at least when the track is level.

I've found the the oil reservoir referred to in the other posts takes quite a bit more oil than the 1ml that the Brunel instructions suggest, to bring the level up to the steam pipe.