Making your turnouts work cheap and easy, in those nasty corners or out of reach

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
don't know where your rule #1 came from, galling from movement of the same materials rubbing together is why you never see 2 brass gears together, always a brass and plastic, or steel and brass.

galling:

note the 2 most susceptible metals: aluminum (what you have), and stainless steel (what you proposed).

Both the worst choices.

Greg

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
don't know where your rule #1 came from, galling from movement of the same materials rubbing together is why you never see 2 brass gears together, always a brass and plastic, or steel and brass.

galling:

note the 2 most susceptible metals: aluminum (what you have), and stainless steel (what you proposed).

Both the worst choices.

Greg

Galling also means;- causing annoyance or resentment; annoying. (Oxford Dictionary). Aluminium and steel don't go well together either! Steel framed bus bodies showed that (unless there is/was an adequate interface between the two materials!).

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not talking corrosion or galvanic issues (dissimilar metals, moisture, electrical current, etc.)

I'm talking damage to surface, galling, and also this can lead to actual welding of 2 pieces together.

It's the motion that causes this, thus the screw thread...

Greg

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

galling:

Both the worst choices.

Greg
Though the meaning is the same, I think this provides a fuller understanding:

Galling is a form of wear caused by adhesion between sliding surfaces. When a material galls, some of it is pulled with the contacting surface, especially if there is a large amount of force compressing the surfaces together. Galling is caused by a combination of friction and adhesion between the surfaces, followed by slipping and tearing of crystal structure beneath the surface. This will generally leave some material stuck or even friction welded to the adjacent surface, whereas the galled material may appear gouged with balled-up or torn lumps of material stuck to its surface.

Galling is most commonly found in metal surfaces that are in sliding contact with each other. It is especially common where there is inadequate lubrication between the surfaces. However, certain metals will generally be more prone to galling, due to the atomic structure of their crystals. For example, aluminium is a metal that will gall very easily, whereas annealed (softened) steel is slightly more resistant to galling. Steel that is fully hardened is very resistant to galling.

Galling is a common problem in most applications where metals slide while in contact with other metals. This can happen regardless of whether the metals are the same or of different kinds. Alloys such as brass and bronze are often chosen for bearings, bushings, and other sliding applications because of their resistance to galling, as well as other forms of mechanical abrasion.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Not to be confused withe "wringing" which is when 2 highly polished pieces of metal can be wrung together, ie in the use of slip gauges

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Not to be confused withe "wringing" which is when 2 highly polished pieces of metal can be wrung together, ie in the use of slip gauges
A term that I had forgot, it's that long since I worked in a toolroom, and used slip gauges.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
A term that I had forgot, it's that long since I worked in a toolroom, and used slip gauges.
Same here, but the memory of getting 2 very expensive slup gauges stuck together lingers some what