Lyn decoder question

Anorak

Registered
20 Jun 2010
Norfolk
Best answers
Just ordered a Bachmann "Lyn" for Christmas. It says DCC ready which I presume means it has a socket you can just plug in a decoder to? Previous installs I've rewired everything in the loco but I'm hoping that's not the case here.

If I'm looking for a decoder what do I need to look for, is there a name for the plug/socket? Are they standard across manufacturers?

Thanks in advance.

Tim

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
It's fitted with a standard 8 pin socket which you can literally just plug it into. The pocket for the decoder in the chassis is a bit small so you won't fit in a large scale sound decoder without some mods but a small motor only decoder should fit no problem.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
If it's the standard 8 pin socket (2 rows of 4 holes a bit like a small lego brick) then it's an NEM 652 socket. If you just want a motor decoder I'd say go for one of the higher power OO/HO decoders (1.5 amps or more). Most of these come in a version with NEM 652 plug.

bunnyrabbit03

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
A standard HO decoder simply plugs into the socket (try Lenz, Zimo or Bachmann). If you want sound, a Zimo HO sound decoder will simply plug in without any problems (ZIMO MX645R, for example). Try for example digitrains.co.uk in the UK (no connections, just personal recommendation). There is no need to fit a large scale decoder into these single motor locos. A modern HO decoder will have no problem coping with large scale track power voltage and the amperage needed for these engines.

Anorak

Registered
20 Jun 2010
Norfolk
Best answers
Thank you all for the information, I'll probably go for a MX631R as I really don't fancy sound.

Tim

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I'd probably go for an MX632R if you can find one - for an extra £5 ish it has a higher continuous rating (1.6 amp) which gives you a bit more headroom considering this is a large scale loco. In the past I've used older Zimo MX64H decoders (similar rating) and been happy with them.

Bunnyrabbit03 suggested Digitrains, I'll second that as another satisfied customer.