Lowmac style well wagon.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Be interesting to see if the axle self steering still works reliably....

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
Anyhoo, the wagons are all painted up now and the bolt heads are barely visible.
Unlike the cheese head screw on the top of a Hornby Dublo class 08 shunter!
I guess I'm showing my age again.
More to the point I also wait, in eager anticipation, to see the finished product.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
The wagons have been painted satin black using a rattle can from The Range. The deck has been "distressed" with a quick light sanding, actually back down to the bare wood in places. This was then darkened down with some dirty thinners. The tie down rings were painted in a rust colour.

So, dodging the showers, I took them out for a track test. The results were that they ran absolutely faultlessly - in fact they had a really difficult test when I went into the garage to get a couple more wagons, bent down with the remote control in my pocket and returned to the garden to find that I must have accidentaly pressed the reverse button and the Lowmacs were being propelled round at break-neck speed (including through a reverse R1) without any derailments. :clap:

654f2ccfd91347bbabe9a25c9aeadad4.jpg

The Lowmacs formed part of a per way train hauled by the little Davenport diesel with the per way brakevan bringing up the rear.

dd49bed00c4344789961d2d028455e34.jpg

This is the reverse R1 over the bridge that really sorts out running qualities - no probs for the Lowmacs ...... in either direction!! :D

d4800064f1dd4ce9a70e4a883d402f54.jpg

The loads have been temporarily tied in place. I've already mentioned the Volvo digger, the cable drum came from the Lazy Grange Bay II (amongst other places if I remember) :clap:.

Still plenty of jobs to do including making and fitting the cosmetic springs, axleboxes etc., vacuum pipes, buffers, lettering and a bit more weathering.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
So, dodging the showers, I took them out for a track test. The results were that they ran absolutely faultlessly - in fact they had a really difficult test when I went into the garage to get a couple more wagons, bent down with the remote control in my pocket and returned to the garden to find that I must have accidentaly pressed the reverse button and the Lowmacs were being propelled round at break-neck speed (including through a reverse R1) without any derailments. :clap:
Good one! :banghead:

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
hi so awesome work u did on it.well done.yes fred did scatchbuilt me one months ago for my sherman tanks on it aslo box of crates for my kitbashing MACK from lil critter so this loco are daveport? are they good or ? coz i was supposed to get one meself as heard thye say superb runner so i saw yr photos of it.

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
I'm really pleased you found a use for them.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
dragon said:
I'm really pleased you found a use for them.
Big thanks Fred :clap:.

Steven, really sorry mate, but I have difficulty reading your posts sometimes - are you asking if the Davenport is any good because you were thinking of getting one? If so - Yes it's a good model, although I wasn't over impressed with the way it ran on track power, so mine now runs on battery power. Because it has a metal chassis, it's really heavy which means that it can haul huge amounts in comparison to it's size.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
The "Lowmacs" are pretty much finished now. I managed to find the 4 buffers I needed in the spares box, IP ones left over from kits. I also dug out 8 IP axle boxes, but 2 of them were too damaged to use. Luckily Mike (G H Wood) managed to find me replacements. The axle boxes needed packing out with short pieces of thin stripwood before they were super-glued onto the sides of the LGB axle trucks. WGLR decals were also fitted. Then it was time for an appointment with Mr Airbrush :D.

44a3d56d98cb4030938e55d29e814ba7.jpg

17aa77434bae4b3abef6bfcc71416ba5.jpg

You might notice that one of the wagons has been fitted with a tool/chain box. This was also made by Fred. The idea came from our recent visit to the NRM at York where I saw a real Lowmac loaded with a loco in one corner of the main hall ............ and it had been fitted with a similar box.

While I had the airbrush out, I also gave the TKMax digger a weathering too. Really pleased with this :D.

7f8937c521c64d32adb0d879c176720c.jpg

Only job left now is to secure the loads properly.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Big thanks again to Fred for making the wagons, Mike (Dutchelm) for the LGB trucks and Mike (GH Wood) for the axle boxes. People like you make this hobby the best :clap:.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
I'm officially impressed Mel. :D
Re securing the loads, is that to ensure they don't foul the loading gauge in transit or to stop person or persons unknown helping themselves? :rofl:

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Neil Robinson said:
yb281 said:
I'm officially impressed Mel. :D
Re securing the loads, is that to ensure they don't foul the loading gauge in transit or to stop person or person's unknown helping themselves? :rofl:
Both Neil :clap:.

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
I have been spraying a couple of those wagons today in the garage using car aerosols. The air is so damp it's taking hours for the paint to dry.

Nemo

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Best answers
Country flag
They look great Mel and really fit in with your railway, nice one.......:clap:

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Crikey Mel, first the cottages, then the lowmacs, then the G64 Thomas conversion. Can you slow down a bit mate, I'm out of breath trying to keep up with all this great work.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
3Valve said:
Crikey Mel, first the cottages, then the lowmacs, then the G64 Thomas conversion. Can you slow down a bit mate, I'm out of breath trying to keep up with all this great work.
Get further down the "projects to do list" during the crepe weather = more running time when it brightens up mate :clap:.