Lowmac style well wagon.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
A few weeks ago that very kind and talented Dragon chap that we blame for everything sent me these two lovely well wagons which he had scratch-built from various sizes of stripwood.

77abc9c36bc2422faafa24f0aa67c8bf.jpg

Great ain't they? At the time I was busy building the Welshpool cottages, but I've now made a start on getting them on the rails.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
I found these screw-in loops in my local ironmongers, 8 in a packet. So I bought two packets and fitted them to act as tie-down hoops.

589de108fc604d33a3ebd2b34ceefbde.jpg

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Good idea Mel - picture hanging loops?

Thinking outside the (red) box? :rofl:

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Next question was how to mount wheels on the wagons. At first it seemed obvious to fit bogies, but I really struggled to find anything suitable. Then I thought back to my OO days and remembered that the Lowmac wagon I had was a 4 wheeler. Now Fred's wagons were quite long and I was concerned at how they would handle the WGLR's R1 curves.......... then it came to me. The most reliable runners on my railway have always been LGB 4 wheelers with the swivelling trucks. I took a set off one of my wagons and they seemed spot-on. A quick request on this excellent forum and two sets of trucks with couplings were on their way from the Bristol direction (thanks Mike :clap: ).

The underside of the wagons was carefully marked out and small pieces of dowel drilled and fixed as pivot points which fit into the holes in the trucks.

1e1dbf30a4dc429d8c2d49cbc1251147.jpg

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
New Haven Neil said:

Too right mate - always thinking :clap:.

Originally I'd intended to attach the trucks to the pivot points with self tapping screws and washers to hold the truck in place while still allowing it to swivel, but that would have meant that the whole weight of the trucks with their metal wheels would have been taken by the glued joint on the pivots. It would never have lasted. So plan B was to have a small bolt passing right through the pivots with three different sized washers to hold the trucks. This meant the bolt heads were visible in the top deck of the wagon (which I didn't really want), but I should be able to hide them and at least they're really secure.

04e29b43bdcd4b12898cda46f23c0eb2.jpg

Yo might also notice that I cut some clear (and shiney) plasticard that fits between the truck and the wagon. This will make sure that they can still swivel after the wagon has been painted in matt black.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Here are the two wagons fitted with their trucks. You can see the bolt heads, but they're pretty small and should be easy to hide below a bit of spare chain or summat. The story of these wagons is that they were supplied by the War Department for delivering large, odd shaped loads to the RAF depot at Ffynon Garew. After the war they were sold to the WGLR for a nominal sum and are now mostly used by the per way dept. So the little Peterkin digger model that I got for £7.99 from my local TKMax makes an ideal load.

1a394a97e30a4722b82583b5d9a615a4.jpg

The coupling arms were way too long and needed modifying. A chunk of the arm was cut away with a razor saw and then drilled to take a bolt. For a belt and braces job, the joint was also filled with Araldite.

3dda2d6a40e2468fa9214d8285d69e4c.jpg

The wagons have now been sprayed, so that's all for now until the paint dries.

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Great work Mel :clap:

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
798.03 said:
Nice, Mel. Are you going to fit any axle gaurds to hide the LGB hole, or is it already well concealed at rail height?
Yes Bruce I'm going to have to come up with some W irons, springs and axle boxes. I haven't yet decided whether to mount them on the underside of the wagon (like LGB do), or stick them to the sides of the swivelling trucks.

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Yes. I'm waiting patiently to see the painting finished.

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
hi fred..yes u are the master of scatchbuiltin! wink..loves yr work on the box of crates!! i wud likes some more if u can fred?

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
steven large said:
hi fred..yes u are the master of scatchbuiltin! wink..loves yr work on the box of crates!! i wud likes some more if u can fred?

O.K. Steven. I'll build some more packing cases for you when I have finished about a dozen wagons I an scratchbuilding.
You'll have to be patient.

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
dragon said:
steven large said:

O.K. Steven. I'll build some more packing cases for you when I have finished about a dozen wagons I an scratchbuilding.
You'll have to be patient.
:clap: yes im alway patient as u know so far.takes all yr times as u need..it good to hear from u fred.:callme:
when u want to see me in a good times ok?..cheers.
p.s.no rush fred.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
looking lowlerly

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
the whole weight of the trucks with their metal wheels would have been taken by the glued joint on the pivots. It would never have lasted. So plan B was to have a small bolt passing right through the pivots with three different sized washers to hold the trucks. This meant the bolt heads were visible in the top deck of the wagon (which I didn't really want), but I should be able to hide them and at least they're really secure.

For defo, Mel. I've fitted bogies to a couple of ex 4-wheelers, and you have to remember the weight of the rest of the train. :clap::clap::clap:
Looking smart :D

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Nice work Mel, but I think we should also blame Fred....

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent work by Fred and yourself Mel.

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
yb281 said:
New Haven Neil said:

This meant the bolt heads were visible in the top deck of the wagon (which I didn't really want), but I should be able to hide them and at least they're really secure.
What about countersunk screws with a bit of filler in the slot, replace the dowel with a nut to hold the screw tight to the truck then a double locknut and washer to hold the bogie on...

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
steve parberry said:
What about countersunk screws with a bit of filler in the slot, replace the dowel with a nut to hold the screw tight to the truck then a double locknut and washer to hold the bogie on...
The wood's not thick enough to countersink Steve, you'd just be left with a girt big hole. Anyhoo, the wagons are all painted up now and the bolt heads are barely visible. There's still lots to do, but I should be able to give them a track rest tomorrow, weather permitting.