Looking for Rolling Stock in the USA.

Rob1962

Registered
21 Jan 2018
New York City. USA
www.youtube.com
Best answers
Can someone recommend an Online USA shop,Good Pricing etc Rolling Stock.??I need for a Regner Max,And an Accucraft Forney Live Steam. I love Ore cars,These will be for a very small indoor oval layout.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Mike Kidman at Reindeer Pass is very helpful. Jason at the Train Department deals in Regner and Accucraft etc.
Just depends on exactly what rolling stock you are after. If you just want some budget small wooden flatcars for the Regner Max look at what user 'pasidump' on eBay has to offer.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Rob,
I don't see the Regner Max as a current offering. It is pretty similar to a "Henry" which Jason will sell you as a kit. (Jason is a good guy - not the least expensive but he's at most of the shows I go to and has good follow-up service.)

In addition, the Max (if you can find one) burns tablets, like those horrible old Mamods. A ceramic burner upgrade kit (which you will want soon if not now,) is $148.

I am also not a fan of the small Accucraft locos, though my pal has a Forney and is happy with it. The forney is not currently in production.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
More thoughts - call Train Department (or meet Jason at PLS Memorial Day weekend) and talk to him. He gets a fair number of trade-ins and can perhaps find you a used Max with a new burner. Regners get better with use, and parts are fairly interchangeable so a used one isn't a bad idea.

MLS in the US has a very active Live Steam forum and the guys are always debating what makes a good small steamer. Try googling "site:mylargescale.com first live steam engine" and check out some of the replies. [These guys on GSC have lots of ideas, but they tend to run Roundhouse and other UK makes - Accucraft UK locos are almost unknown in the US. Quite a few Regners here though.]

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Trainworld in NJ.

Ronchatt

Registered
3 Dec 2015
Tasmania AUstralia
Best answers
Train world does not deal in live steam , Reindeer Pass and RLD Hobbies both have very poor online ordering, keeps defaulting to old addressees .
Jason at The train Department is your best bet , his only problem is the US postal /parcel services . But keep your eye on Evelbay there are a few
good dealers out there
Ron.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
The question was about rolling stock. Ore cars was a preference. Some LGB V dumps or Bachmann wood side dumps off eBay may be a possibility. If on a budget some Hartland V dumps in easy to assemble kits. As far as Reindeer Pass goes, just ring them. Mike will pack things efficiently to be cost effective and refund any postal overcharges by his system. Important when ordering from overseas. I've heard RLD Hobbies are good to deal with too. I never know what TrainWorld are going to charge for shipping until I read it on my bank statement so I haven't bought off them for a while.

Last edited:

Ronchatt

Registered
3 Dec 2015
Tasmania AUstralia
Best answers
I am sorry I misread the rolling stock I was thinking live steam. as to the two dealers
to my regret have dealt with both .
Ron

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
No need to apologize but the thread kind of drifted into live steam dealer advice by a few. I think it's just rolling stock the OP is after. Sorry to hear you have had regretful experiences with some mentioned.
I used to buy heaps off TrainWorld years back but since they removed me from their eMail post out because I informed them of server faults that they refused to acknowledge then giving me crap for it, I haven't bought off them since. Some are so full of it. :D

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
These guys on GSC have lots of ideas, but they tend to run Roundhouse and other UK makes - Accucraft UK locos are almost unknown in the US. Quite a few Regners here though.]

Interesting you should note that - almost half of the original series of Accucraft's NG/G16 Beyer-Garratt went to the USA. And a few 'Flying Scotsman' models, too.

And what other UK makes are there? Apart from the very small number of 16mm NG batch-builders, there is only Aster Hobbies [UK].

tac

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
My first Accucraft loco I bought was from a USA dealer. It was an electric IOM Caledonia which was less than a grand. From that point on the hobby became far more expensive for me.