Logging Operations

Shawn

Hiking, cross country skiing, snowshoeing
I originally started this thread on G scale Mad. I figured I will continue it here. More has been done.
Enough of the snow has melted to allow me to get the two bunks put in for the logging camp. Now they just need to weather. Still have a few more things to do like more figures, make some cut lumber piles. Maybe another bunk house or two.
dllzip.jpg

2wgrorr.jpg

I also built an office for the yard area. Eventually Im going to put a little backwoods train station here and Im going to build a single stall engine house in this area. This will be the main industry area and the rest of the layout will mainly be a wilderness setting.
w2mwox.jpg

169rns8.jpg

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
Hi Shawn,

Nice work! Looks very good, congratulations on the new additions.

Yours Peter.

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
Looking good. Interesting to see a layout in wintery conditions. Hope to see more pictures, please, as the scene develops.

Shawn

I got thinking again. I have a pile of paper birch sticks/logs that I have been saving for projects but could not figure out what to use them for. Then I came up with an idea of making a sign for the logging camp. Here is what I came up with. Eventually im going to make the sign a little nicer but for now this is what I came up with.

4kbhig.jpg

Shawn

The fire tower and cabin is just about done. Im just trying to get some copper flashing for the roof but cant see spending $48 for a roll at Lowes. Im hopeing a friend of mine can find some extra he had laying around. If not then I will use cedar shingles. Hopfully I will have it complete in a week or so.
In the meantime I got thinking. I have a logging operation complete with a camp and a fire tower. I thought how will they fight a fire if one does occure. I got the idea of a fire car. I never even knew something like that was made until I did some research on the net and found out the railroads had cars used for fighting fires. A week a later someone showed me a great logging magazine; Tall Timbers short lines. I found the magazine on the internet and all the back issues. One issue number 84 that had an article about fire fighting cars. I ordered this as well as a bunch of other bach issues. As soon as I saw these I fell in love. I ordered two HLW flat cars to use as my body. Next I am going to build these or something similar to the picture.
20hka37.jpg

Photo is from the Author Don Mason Tall Timbers short line No. 84 Fall 2006