Live steam whistle

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I have a Roundhouse kit built loco fitted with a whistle (as shown attached) which I purchased some time ago. I have just brought the loco back into use after a long gap and the whistle sounds like a castrated kettle. There is a video in the attached zip file. Is there some sort of adjustment which will give the whistle a shrill note? All suggestions welcome.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

Attachments

• IMG_4895.JPG
    IMG_4895.JPG
    337.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Whistle.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 0

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I have a similar whistle, and the DJB website use to have instructions on how these are adjusted. Try emailing pbailey262@btinternet.com

mike bickford

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Harden Murrumburrah NSW Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I have a Roundhouse kit built loco fitted with a whistle (as shown attached) which I purchased some time ago. I have just brought the loco back into use after a long gap and the whistle sounds like a castrated kettle. There is a video in the attached zip file. Is there some sort of adjustment which will give the whistle a shrill note? All suggestions welcome.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
Peter,

I have attached a pdf instruction sheet from DJB for adjusting the Bangham type whistle on my son's Robert coal fired. It was easier to use a compressed air supply to the boiler with an airbrush regulator set to the boiler blow off pressure. No burnt fingers that way. The adjustment is quite fine with the aperture opening between 0.083" and 0.093".

Regards,

Mike Bickford

Attachments

• Bangham whistle instructions for Robert kit.pdf
    428.4 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 user

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Peter,

I have attached a pdf instruction sheet from DJB for adjusting the Bangham type whistle on my son's Robert coal fired. It was easier to use a compressed air supply to the boiler with an airbrush regulator set to the boiler blow off pressure. No burnt fingers that way. The adjustment is quite fine with the aperture opening between 0.083" and 0.093".

Regards,

Mike Bickford
Thanks Mike. I also got some instructions from DJB so I will give it a go this week.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound