Lil Big Hauler Locos?

JLoll

Registered
1 Apr 2018
On the Moon
Best answers
Country flag
What do people think of the Lil Big Hauler Locos?
How do they run?
Are there any issues?

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I have three of these that I'm converting to battery RC. They are obviously very simple. They run well on track power even without sliding pickups. Keep in mind that the couplers are not at standard LGB height and the commercially available adapters interfere with the rear axle on the tender versions, so converting will take more work. I haven't run them enough to test durability, but at $50-$100, I don't expect much. (I spent about $70, including shipping.) Motors and gears look to be serviceable, but Bachmann has a habit of cheap coatings on the drivers. So, they are simple and usable, but I wouldn't recommend them as the basis for an otherwise expensive and time consuming kit bash. I plan to make them available for the grandchildren to run as an alternate to the omnipresent Thomas line.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I have three of these that I'm converting to battery RC. They are obviously very simple. They run well on track power even without sliding pickups. Keep in mind that the couplers are not at standard LGB height and the commercially available adapters interfere with the rear axle on the tender versions, so converting will take more work. I haven't run them enough to test durability, but at $50-$100, I don't expect much. (I spent about $70, including shipping.) Motors and gears look to be serviceable, but Bachmann has a habit of cheap coatings on the drivers. So, they are simple and usable, but I wouldn't recommend them as the basis for an otherwise expensive and time consuming kit bash. I plan to make them available for the grandchildren to run as an alternate to the omnipresent Thomas line.
I have one on the workbench - must get it finished - and another I knocked about a bit! What I wanted .......

040_Porter32.jpg
....and my attempts so far

As is from B'mann ......
.jpg

and progress so far ....
Bell (1).JPG

Cheap and, hopefully, cheerful!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Where did the new bell come from?

It's the original bell with a cradle made from a piece of flat aluminum and the pivot/actuator arm made from a piece of wire. The bell can be swung on its' pivot or moved with the arm.

I do buy the odd brass bell to replace those I've lost on big haulers and the like - just the bell only from
https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
It's the original bell with a cradle made from a piece of flat aluminum and the pivot/actuator arm made from a piece of wire. The bell can be swung on its' pivot or moved with the arm.

I do buy the odd brass bell to replace those I've lost on big haulers and the like - just the bell only from
https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk
That's a great enhancement to the stock bell! Looking forward to see what you do with the pistons. I might just have to try a bit of upgrading myself.

Southwestforests

Registered
2 Nov 2021
Missouri
Best answers
Country flag
What do people think of the Lil Big Hauler Locos?
What I think is all I can offer what with not yet having physical experience with them.
First or second thought upon learning of their existence was, Now there's some potential kitbashing fodder! :clap:
Because small engines are appealing in their own right and small engines in large scales on garden railways was what got me interested in this hobby genre in the first place.
What trammayo has shown is the kind of thing I want to do.
Eventually.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Here's another Lil Bash -

Bash (51).JPG

to this -
DSCF5115.JPG
Bash (71).JPG

- and this was the inspiration .......
Bash (65).JPG
Bash (64).JPG

I printed the road name with my inkjet printer - alas the black has faded. I should have used white stick-on lettering straight onto the black-painted tanks!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I managed to run a train yesterday .....
DSCF0603.JPG
Apart from oiling the piston rods/motion, it needed no other attention. The B'man tipper cars are heavyish (particularly the metal framed ones) but there were no problems hauling them around.

Southwestforests

Registered
2 Nov 2021
Missouri
Best answers
Country flag
The B'man tipper cars are heavyish (particularly the metal framed ones)
There are a number of days here where heavy cars are mandatory,
"
Wednesday
Increasing clouds, with a high near 64. South wind 6 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 34 mph."
"
Thanksgiving Day
Sunny, with a high near 39. North northwest wind 7 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph."

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I managed to run a train yesterday .....
View attachment 292747
Apart from oiling the piston rods/motion, it needed no other attention. The B'man tipper cars are heavyish (particularly the metal framed ones) but there were no problems hauling them around.
Excellent photo, Mick.

alcashj94

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Devon
Best answers
Country flag
I've got a couple of these and the mechanism seems to be the same as the larger Bachmann 0-4-0's without the piston rods. Metal frame gearbox which has not given any problems and seen a reasonable amount of use so I would not hesitate to use them as the basis for a better model.

Pemble

Registered
25 Oct 2020
Shropshire england
Best answers
Country flag
Hi this engine is over seven years old ,recently because of garden damage I thought I would convert to a English narrow gauge loco it still pulls four or five wagons so the sky is the limit to what you can do ,do not be afraid to use a razor saw or a mini drill . Graham

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 0
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
So the axle bearings are much more lightweight, thin squares of gray plastic.

While there is a metal U piece holding the gears, not as robust as a version 6 Big hauler.

DSC00894.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hi this engine is over seven years old ,recently because of garden damage I thought I would convert to a English narrow gauge loco it still pulls four or five wagons so the sky is the limit to what you can do ,do not be afraid to use a razor saw or a mini drill . Graham
Nice looking engine! After seven years of use, any sign of the driver tires degrading? That was my main concern.

Pemble

Registered
25 Oct 2020
Shropshire england
Best answers
Country flag
After seven years of running there is some wear a little bit of brass is showing but does not stop it running ,but I have had my monies worth out of it and there is no problem with contact between the rail and wheel if fact it is better than some of my newer locos so the old girl is a good one Graham

Attachments

• 6DDEF64A-1DF8-4F7C-AF91-387D67359C67.jpeg
    6DDEF64A-1DF8-4F7C-AF91-387D67359C67.jpeg
    237 KB · Views: 0

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
After seven years of running there is some wear a little bit of brass is showing but does not stop it running ,but I have had my monies worth out of it and there is no problem with contact between the rail and wheel if fact it is better than some of my newer locos so the old girl is a good one Graham
Well, based on the collective wisdom and experience regarding these locos, I may just have to revise my perspective and try a little kit-bashing with at least one of those I own. Just as soon as I complete the other 20 or so projects waiting. The grandchildren may just have to be satisfied with Thomas and Percy. I'll have to do some research on the Bachmann sound modules, starting with Greg's website.