zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I would like to use lichen on my layout but I do not like how it crumbles apart. Any advise on how to soften it up and keep it soft. Anybody seen plastic lichen? Thanks all.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I would like to use lichen on my layout but I do not like how it crumbles apart. Any advise on how to soften it up and keep it soft. Anybody seen plastic lichen? Thanks all.
Lichen can be soaked Glycerine to stop it being crumbly. Trouble is so far as I remember from using the process moons ago Glycerine is quite expensive and I am not sure what would happen to it if you used the Lichen outdoors. Perhaps a good dunking in PVA and Glycerine May work?

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the response on my question.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I use lichen a fair amount in some pola buildings, ground shrubs, planter box fill.
It has a look, and, not a great one, imho, unless augmented with flower material, or, finer shrub and tree stuff.
Its cheap, common in ho scenery supplies.
I use it in my pola stuff because its cheap and replaceable.

It dries out, but, if untouched, seems to more or less work. A spritz will rehydrate it. Seems the color fades with dryness and returns with moisture.
It seems too, I tried the glycerine thing decades ago, and, never kept it up. Messy, and interferes with adherence as i recall.

I also use lichen in my dry denver n scale layout, stuffed into utah desert mountain crevices, bottoms of arroyos, etc., I find that it stays, and, should the basement humidity rise, as it does on occasion, the lichen softens. Otherwise its dry, but seems to work anyway.

I havent found a solution to keep it soft, other than high humidity.