LGB21660

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
I have recently purchased this railcar. I have ordered some spare parts to replace various missing items. I am now looking for advice on converting the railcar to DCC with sound. I am aware of a previous thread concerning the Wismar Rail Car which is a few year's old. I know that there are now various suppliers of suitable sound decoders such as ESU, Zimo as well as Massoth and wonder which is the easiest to install and has the best sound.
1685109288761.jpeg
Regards

Mthestrong

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have recently purchased this railcar. I have ordered some spare parts to replace various missing items. I am now looking for advice on converting the railcar to DCC with sound. I am aware of a previous thread concerning the Wismar Rail Car which is a few year's old. I know that there are now various suppliers of suitable sound decoders such as ESU, Zimo as well as Massoth and wonder which is the easiest to install and has the best sound.
View attachment 314017
Regards

Mthestrong
Not sure if you refer to one of my conversions, I have done a few single, double, tripple and piggy nose like yours. For me the easiest conversion job was on the roof hiding the Chip and Speaker with a fake tarpaulin. I Have used LGB Diesel Sound unit, Massoth with reasonable results, particularly the Massoth supplied with correct pig nose sound unit. The LS with the Anteater Sound option would be fine, but others may prefer other decoder types.

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
I am now looking for advice on converting the railcar to DCC with sound

Surely the best way is to use the product intended to do just that (by replacing the circuit board that encircles the motor)! Although they won't ship to the UK, this is what Modell-land.de offers . . .

1685127548356.png

. . . and I rather suspect that it's based on this (DRIVE-SB (4A Lokdecoder, SUSI, 6 Funktionsausgänge, LGB Wismar/Hannover/Schweineschnäutzchen, F68) - mXion Modellbahntechnik) . . .

1685127616158.png
. . . And Amazing Little Trains are the UK importer (www.amazinglittletrains.com). Maybe they can help identify the other parts you need (or you can download the Mxion catalogue - https://www.amazinglittletrains.com...d81cb26a6040028d97be1acf936dc9.pdf?index=true).

Cheers

David

Reactions: 1 user

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure if you refer to one of my conversions, I have done a few single, double, tripple and piggy nose like yours. For me the easiest conversion job was on the roof hiding the Chip and Speaker with a fake tarpaulin. I Have used LGB Diesel Sound unit, Massoth with reasonable results, particularly the Massoth supplied with correct pig nose sound unit. The LS with the Anteater Sound option would be fine, but others may prefer other decoder types.
Hi Jon,

Thanks for the information. The thread I was referring to was from 2012!!!! I like the idea of fitting the chip in the roof and I noted that you had placed the speaker in the engine compartment and used a blackened drinking straw to hide the wires. Now to see what suitable decoders are available.

Regards

Martin
Surely the best way is to use the product intended to do just that (by replacing the circuit board that encircles the motor)! Although they won't ship to the UK, this is what Modell-land.de offers . . .

View attachment 314029

. . . and I rather suspect that it's based on this (DRIVE-SB (4A Lokdecoder, SUSI, 6 Funktionsausgänge, LGB Wismar/Hannover/Schweineschnäutzchen, F68) - mXion Modellbahntechnik) . . .

View attachment 314030
. . . And Amazing Little Trains are the UK importer (www.amazinglittletrains.com). Maybe they can help identify the other parts you need (or you can download the Mxion catalogue - https://www.amazinglittletrains.com...d81cb26a6040028d97be1acf936dc9.pdf?index=true).

Cheers

David
Hi David,

That is really helpful and offers a much simpler installation.

Regards

Martin

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Be very careful to get the springs that centre the leading and trailing axles to centre.
If they are out of place, they will short on the rear of the board.

PhilP

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I rewired one and fit the Zimo HO decoder (MS645) in the motor block case. Lots of rewiring but it does fit nicely. For the speaker I found a rectangular one that fits on the bottom.