LGB vs Massoth & other digital systems

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Hello All,

Hopefully I will not cause any arguments but require assistance please.....

I already have a LGB MTS 3 and 2 x 55016 controllers but now think I need to go wireless along with getting another couple of controllers (later on that is) as I keep getting caught up using the wires !!!!

When Im fully up and running it should be around 4 or more locos in use at any time so will need to get sorted but im now thinking that I should have got a Massoth set up from the start and not the LGB that I have + gone wireless,
A friend has said he will have my LGB items when if I decide to change over so would like to know your thoughts please....

The main things im looking at are LGB ..No longer made so it would be used (some on evil bay now, yes im looking there, sorry) , Massoth are still made and a very good reputation and you can do more with them.
Also most of my decoders are massoth XLS make (still need to put some into locos as im a bit slow !)

Many thanks for any thoughts on this

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
If you can afford to make the full jump to Massoth, I would do it now - especially as you have someone willing to take your MTS gear off your hands, which will hopefully defray the upgrade cost just a little bit. I certainly think that if you're considering an upgrade, it's probably a good idea not to invest further in your existing MTS system.

BUT, if funds are tight and you would rather do it in stages, as you have an MTSIII rather than an earlier version you could, if you preferred, get just a Massoth Navigator and a Massoth (not MTS) wireless receiver at this stage and connect them to the Dimax Bus on your MTSIII CS, which should work just fine for the time being - then, when you are ready and your bank balance has recovered, you can buy a Massoth Dimax central station and then pass all the old MTS kit along to your friend.

Of course there are several other valid alternatives, as I'm sure others will mention later - some technically more modern and arguably better than Massoth (but, like everything, at a cost) - but for my money I don't think you'd regret going the Dimax route; it is solid, time-proven and generally very reliable (certainly in my personal experience), and there is a large user base here on GSC to help and advise.

Just my thoughts, which (like all advice on here) are worth exactly what you paid for them..... ;)

Jon.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I'm going to put in a plug for the Märklin CS3. First I'll state the negative that I'm sure others will pound with a sledge(lump?)hammer . It's currently limited to 5A per booster which puts some restriction on the number of trains unless more boosters are employed. Now the positive, it talks to all types of decoders DCC, M4, etc without having to change the decoder settings. Secondly and probably much more important, with Märklin's system any smart phone, tablet, or laptop that runs a web browser is a full featured controller without having to buy any additional hardware (or software, the web server is now built in) except a wireless router which you might already have. Massoth has been threatening for a while to make their booster compatible with the CS3. If and when they do, then even the 5A limit goes out the window!.

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Sound advice from Jon. But I would go straight to all Massoth if you can. Also worth remembering that you can get Massoth RC units with a larger range if you have a long Garden my Garden being some 80-90 feet from the Central Station suffered a bit with the Radio till I got replacement Hanset RC’s. They have the Rat’s Tails dangling from them.

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Many thanks form the replies so far, I certainly dont want to use a phone or tablet etc to control my trains and ive held a navigator and it just felt right in the hand more so than the LGB controllers.

As to my friend he has a very small layout in the making and my gear would suit him perfectly thats why he said he would have it from me, not thought of a price yet.

Its looking more like I may have to contact Mark at Garden Rail Outlet sometime.

Regards steve

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Many thanks form the replies so far, I certainly dont want to use a phone or tablet etc to control my trains and ive held a navigator and it just felt right in the hand more so than the LGB controllers.

As to my friend he has a very small layout in the making and my gear would suit him perfectly thats why he said he would have it from me, not thought of a price yet.

Its looking more like I may have to contact Mark at Garden Rail Outlet sometime.

Regards steve
Have to say the Phone or Tablet option is pretty well a no no outside due to lighting issues. My friend has a newer LGB System thatbrelies in the Phone as a handset. Ok indoors in his Shed but in the Garden it is a complete pain.

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

perpetualnewbie

Registered
30 Apr 2019
United Kingdom
Best answers
I've been looking into this quite a bit lately, but from the position of a blank slate.

The Marklin/LGB CS3 does support up to 2 plugin controllers and (I think?) some kind of option radio-linked dedicated controllers (I'm sure I saw that in a catalogue somewhere) as well as phones/tablets. The Marklin "Mobile Station" controller is quite a lot cheaper than the wired Massoth Navigator. I don't think it's quite as good (not sure) but it may fit the bill for some, even many? people. I have one (used with a really simple but low-amp track connector box, not a Central Station) and quite like it.

I must admit I've yet to try a phone or tablet as a controller but I'm really not keen on the idea because I can't use a phone or tablet without looking at it - surely the whole point of a physical controller is that I can drive the train while looking at the train, not the controller, as I can feel where the dial and buttons are without having to look down. To be honest I'd rather have a system where it was easy to build custom controllers with nice tactile interfaces, but this doesn't seem to be high on anyone's selling point lists that I've seen yet.

Sorry to say the Massoth stuff seems really expensive to me and I can't easily see why. Not to say there is anything wrong with it, just that I don't think Massoth necessarily communicate their central station's value and capabilities to people who don't already know they want it. With the (also expensive, if a bit less so) Marklin CS3 I can see it brings a huge amount of flashy features (large touchscreen as well as the buttons & dials, lots of software interface in the controller, wifi, support for phone/tablet controller app) even if I doubt whether I really want those features. The Massoth central station seems like an awful lot of money and Massoth don't make it hugely obvious how much it does beyond receive commands from their controllers and put a DCC signal on the track.

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Just looked at the Marklin hand controller and it looks the same as the Masssoth one only in a different colour ?, I take it Massoth make electical items for Marklin ?

perpetualnewbie

Registered
30 Apr 2019
United Kingdom
Best answers
Hmm, maybe there's more than one. The hand controllers I was comparing were Massoth's "Navigator" (looks like a really chunky remote control - tall and narrow) and Marklin's "Mobile Station" (short and broad like a console game controller) which appear really different. I'll look again, thanks for the info that there's something else out there I wasn't aware of.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
The recently-announced (but possibly not yet available?) new mobile handset for Marklin's CS3 does indeed look to be a badge-engineered Navigator in dark grey finish.... see the latest LGB new items brochure for details....

Massoth used to build most of LGB's DCC (MTS) systems prior to the Marklin buyout, and I thought they had largely severed their connection but the announcement of this new handset, which is very obviously a Massoth Navigator , suggests that they may have rekindled their relationship! :)

Jon.

perpetualnewbie

Registered
30 Apr 2019
United Kingdom
Best answers
Zerogee: ah! thank you. Well spotted. My mistake... the wired controllers are very unlike, but the wireless is exactly like the Massoth (and I agree it's probably not out yet). As the original post was about wanting wireless that's definitely score one to Massoth for that.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I have a MTS II system which I now use on my portable layout, Hardyard.

I brought a second hand Massoth 1200Z with one Navigator last year. A single Navigator is all I probably need to run my layout, as I can control 2 trains and points with the one handset, although I eventually will use a laptop running Stellwork for controlling points and signals.

If I visit other layouts or operating days where I know there is a Massoth system, I'll take my Navi as well as a couple of engines and rolling stock.

I also have the convertor gadget for my Massoth unit where I can plug in any of my 3 LGB 55015/55016 handsets if I need additional controllers, so I have the best of the old as well as the new world.

As Zerogee mentions, I would suggest you upgrade to Massoth, especially as you like the Navigator, and you can pass on your MTS III to someone else who would be happy to have it....

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Gizzy, Very well put, Yes ive held the Navigator and it just feels right so it looks very much like I will need to contact Mark at the outlet sooner than later !!!!

Im seeing my friendat the weekend who wants my MTS3 and 2 55016 controllers so will thrash out a price I hope, hes on anologue at the moment and wants to add sound etc.

Many thanks to all for your help with this question, cheers steve

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I hope you all realize that the MTS III will work with the Massoth navigator hand held unit.. More addresses and 28 speed steps available.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I hope you all realize that the MTS III will work with the Massoth navigator hand held unit.. More addresses and 28 speed steps available.

See my first reply to the original question, post no.2 above..... ;)

Jon.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I saw it, but not the extra features/28 speed step limit.