LGB The Big Train

Matoteca

Registered
24 Nov 2020
California
Best answers
Hi my husband has this train since his childhood except it is missing the transponder to make the train go. I was able to find the transponder on eBay that came with the train however this makes me nervous will it work or even if it does will it work for long. I was unsure if there might be something on Amazon that we could purchase to get this train running any help would be greatly appreciated

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Hi my husband has this train since his childhood except it is missing the transponder to make the train go. I was able to find the transponder on eBay that came with the train however this makes me nervous will it work or even if it does will it work for long. I was unsure if there might be something on Amazon that we could purchase to get this train running any help would be greatly appreciated
Welcome Matoteca, you come to the right place for advice. TBH I can't help you with your problem, but there are plenty on here who can and will. To make things easier, a few pictures will help a lot, as I'm not to sure what you mean by transponder, could you mean radio control equipment?

Matoteca

Registered
24 Nov 2020
California
Best answers
Welcome Matoteca, you come to the right place for advice. TBH I can't help you with your problem, but there are plenty on here who can and will. To make things easier, a few pictures will help a lot, as I'm not to sure what you mean by transponder, could you mean radio control equipment?
Transformer not transponder lol obviously I have sooo much to learn or should wake up before posting.

Matoteca

Registered
24 Nov 2020
California
Best answers
And honestly I am not even sure it’s g scale lol just been trying to find some one who is more knowledgeable than me

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Transformer not transponder lol obviously I have sooo much to learn or should wake up before posting
I'm sure someone will help, as I suggest, if you can attach some pictures, it'll really help. Use the attach files button on the reply page

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome. You are in the right place. If you can post a picture of the underside of the loco it will help identify the model and possibly even the year of its manufacture. From that we can then work out which of the standard LGB transformers/controllers, or any other make, for that matter, will be best. What is important is the power rating in AMPS + of course if it is not a direct LGB replacement, the max voltage output. Say around 1.5 amp/18 volts should be a safe starting point.

There a school of thought that 2nd hand controllers should be avoided. There is also the question how a new layout could develop. You may find that in a short time the number of locos and type you run at one time may outstrip the power output capabilities of one of the more basic controllers one might have supplied with a typical LGB starter set. With a very old loco and possibly worn one,, you need to give some consideration for the refurbishment of some of the mechanical and electrical components. Max

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
what maxi-model writes.

but as you declare to be new to all this, i would like to add some things.
being in the states, beware, if you buy from europe. you need a transformer/regulator with input of 110volt. european transformers have an input of 220volt.
if buying an LGB transformer/regulator from amazon or ebay, look at the pic. the red LGB ones are european, the grey ones are US type with 110V input.
for a LGB loco you need a transformer/regulator with DC current output. (more than 12, better 18 or up to 24volt, no more) (on LGB regulators the red and the blue output terminals)
you best look for transformer/regulators in one unit. (recognizeable by the dial upon it.)

but first things first...
do you know, if the loco still works?
take a battery (good would be one of these little rectangular 9 volt batteries) and a piece of wire.
when you touch the poles of the batterie to a wheel on different sides of the loco, the wheels should turn. turn the batterie around, the wheels should turn in the other direction.
if the loco doesn't work, get it fixed before you spend money on a transformer.

good luck, and welcome.