idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Does this one actually plow snow? The all plastic one famously didn't despite 4K price tag. :)

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I would guess it has the same issues all scale models of the real thing do, that the snow granules do not scale down so the unit clogs.

There's one coming out that has two horizontal sets of wheels, like a home snow blower, and apparently it really works.

Just can't find the picture now.

Greg

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
yes it is an exciting thing innit?

I understand it does not blow snow.
and, given its price, and the state of repair parts, (at least in my experience with Marklin in the past few years)
......look no touch

Parkdesigner

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Los Angeles, CA / Derbyshire, UK / Frankfurt, DE
Best answers
Country flag
Does this one actually plow snow?

Nope.
Early on, it was rumored that it would - but LGBM have said for some time that it will not/does not due to legal reasons. :rolleyes:

(Just like the GME 1:20.3 OM plow that initially shipped with the ability to plow snow, but that was removed in later versions due to - you guessed it - legal reason.)

Seriously, how hard is it to understand "keep you fingers out of the rotating blades"? :fubar:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Nope.
Early on, it was rumored that it would - but LGBM have said for some time that it will not/does not due to legal reasons. :rolleyes:

(Just like the GME 1:20.3 OM plow that initially shipped with the ability to plow snow, but that was removed in later versions due to - you guessed it - legal reason.)

Seriously, how hard is it to understand "keep you fingers out of the rotating blades"? :fubar:

Sadly, these days I can understand the fear of litigation - eventually some twit would let a little kid play with their 4000-quid model and then sue when the kid lost a couple of fingers.
Lawyers don't understand the concept of Social Darwinism.
"Make something idiot-proof, and Nature will just make a better idiot......"

Jon.

Reactions: 1 user

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Well, it has arrived and with it looks like LGB are sub-branding the model "HIGHEND"

RhBSnowplow-02.jpg

Maybe the new LGB returning to the days of the old LGB, wonder if another metal model will be announced in 2019?

Model comes well and truly packed:

RhBSnowplow-01.jpg

Understand that the UK allocation were sent in bulk to The Hobby Co and then The Hobby Co got their reps personally to deliver the models to the local dealers in their own transport. No chance of anything being Yodelled!!

Once you get to the model you find that both loco and tender are securely bolted to a metal base:

RhBSnowplow-04.jpg

and that's the way its going to stay until the warm weather returns ….. and I've read and absorbed contents of the manual. In the meantime just looking at the model reminds me of my trip on the RhB watching the snowplow in operation:

AlpGrum-05.jpg

AlpGrum-06.jpg

Pity there was not much new snow around for the plow to plow!!

Reactions: 5 users

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thats beautiful. Really really beautiful.
Unique tender.

Sound, lights, smoke, rotary, smoke box light? Other cool features?
3 motors? 2 drive,1 rotary?
Are the wheels the same diameter as the 2085 mallet?
Does it come with a driver or crew?
Does the tender have rear lights?

Play with it in good health....and trembling terror of mishap....lol!

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Thats beautiful. Really really beautiful.
Unique tender.

Sound, lights, smoke, rotary, smoke box light? Other cool features?
3 motors? 2 drive,1 rotary?
Are the wheels the same diameter as the 2085 mallet?
Does it come with a driver or crew?
Does the tender have rear lights?

Play with it in good health....and trembling terror of mishap....lol!

Steve,

Its been a few busy days here so not had a chance of digesting the contents of the instruction manual that came with the plow, once I have I'll try to answer as many of your questions as I can.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
i await with baited breath, (probably slightly tinged with single malt in the evenings,)LOL

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
For the first time in many years I've been indisposed over the Christmas period having picked up a bug that seems to be doing the rounds. Have not been able to digest the manual that came with the plow but one thing that I have noticed is that the tender is not electrically connected to the plow:

RhBSnowplow-09.jpg

At first thought this was a bit strange but then realised that if the plow and tender were electrically connected, due to the weight of the items it would be a real pain getting them out of the box and on the track in one piece.

Have noticed one omission on the model, its missing the support brackets on the inside of the side panels. Luckily I'm not a rivet counter!! The more I look at the model, the more I think its a fantastic piece of kit:

RhBSnowplow-10.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Sure does look good. Enjoy it Keith - that what it's for.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
and can it be made to throw snow ?

Suppose it depends how much disposable income you can throw at the problem..

Oh, and how much of the front-end is plastic!

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
….. and if it did throw snow here it would not be the right kind of snow, in its natural habitat it gets dry, fluffy snow, here its wet, heavy snow (when it snows!!)

Reactions: 1 user

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks keith
Nice photos
Hope you feel better soon.

Looks like motion rods are metal and fine scale.

Too pricey to risk actually using for snow. As an experimental type, empha sis on “mental,” its all fun and games until some important bit breaks, like a rotary blade.....

Have you run it?
Does the rotor turn a a reasonably slowish speed?