LGB Red wheel color?

Derailed

Registered
12 Nov 2019
Lansing, KS
Best answers
Country flag
I have an LGB Mogul 21181 with the red wheels. I want to replace the brush contacts in the tender with ball bearing wheels but they only come in black. I am assuming LGB used the same color red on all their red wheels but I could be wrong. I don't have another engine around to compare. Has anyone found a good color match to LGB's red wheels?

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I have found Humbrol 174 Signal Red Satin is a good match. I'll send a picture later this morning so you can judge.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have used Montana NC-Acrylic. Not sure thay quote any colours though the only can I have states “Montana Gold” on the side but I suspect that could be a brand name. There is also a red on the top if the can of S3000 so that could be the colour. I got this from an art shop in Cambridge, quite expensive but I am pleased with the match. Was used on the Mallett below, LGB 0-4-0 for comparison too right. Nite that the Maklett has been ket down some by weathering.
E7FEFAD7-9036-470E-B859-C18952D9EABE.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
This is Humbrol 174 compared to LGB chassis red. I painted the metal wheel rims, hard to tell unless you are close up.

IMG_20210103_110110.jpg

Derailed

Registered
12 Nov 2019
Lansing, KS
Best answers
Country flag
I got two coats on the LGB wheels and they look pretty good. I probably should have used some primer or white first to cover the black but oh well.
The signal red is a pretty close match to the wheels on the loco. However, and I never really noticed it until I went to paint them, the wheels on the tender of the 21181 are a different color. The loco wheels are an orangish red. The tender's wheels are more of a pinkish red. So, now I have tender wheels which match my loco, have less drag, and two extra power pickups. <yay> I found that just from swapping out the brushes for ball bearing wheels in my other Mogul allowed that engine to pull one extra coach or two empty freight cars up my 3% grade.
I put the old red wheels on one of my Christmas cars. I might paint all my christmas car wheels a bright red as they look good.

Nederhorst

Registered
8 Feb 2021
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
I see also small difference between original LGB colors. But for my loco's I use Revell Email 330 SM or Humbrol 60 Matt, both colors are very close to the original colors

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Yup humbrol.