LGB Queen Mary Caboose

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Hello

I have just acquired an LGB Queen Mary Series caboose. The box says it is No 42710 but I can’t trace that on my LGB products website. However, there is a series of these cabooses (46710, 47710 and 48710 which are virtually identical).

I need a couple of spares :-

1. The outside chimney stack
2. The imitation light which fits on the outside of the centre cupola.

Does anybody know a suitable source for these parts?

Bill

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks but that is the wrong caboose series.

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, but looking at the photos of the Queen Mary and the other types of caboose I wonder if the parts you want are common to both.
Sadly no. They are different.
Bill

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Those parts were loose in a bag when I got my SF ltd edition one, they are still in the bag 20 years later!!

Reactions: 1 user

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Those parts were loose in a bag when I got my SF ltd edition one, they are still in the bag 20 years later!!
You don't want to sell them do you?
Bill

gnm109

Registered
27 Apr 2014
Sacramento County, California
Visit site
Best answers
LGB was never consistent about the use of the Queen Mary designation. Originally I had thought that it was a slightly different, more detailed line of cars. Over the years I've acquired a string of the LGGB 47160 two-bay covered hopper cars. Some of them came in Queen Mary boxes and were built in West Germany, making them pre-1989. Others came in regular boxes without mention of Queen Mary. Some of those were built in West Germany and others were marked "Made in US". I was not aware that LGB ever built cars in the US.

It's not surprising that the OP here is having trouble finding parts for LGB. They are difficult to find. Time for some kitbashing.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
LGB was never consistent about the use of the Queen Mary designation. Originally I had thought that it was a slightly different, more detailed line of cars. Over the years I've acquired a string of the LGGB 47160 two-bay covered hopper cars. Some of them came in Queen Mary boxes and were built in West Germany, making them pre-1989. Others came in regular boxes without mention of Queen Mary. Some of those were built in West Germany and others were marked "Made in US". I was not aware that LGB ever built cars in the US.

It's not surprising that the OP here is having trouble finding parts for LGB. They are difficult to find. Time for some kitbashing.

So did the Queen Mary range use standard parts from similar items in the LGB range?

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Unfortunately, I have forgotten who is was that I was taking to about the exploded view of the caboose. It arrived today and many thanks to the sender.
Bill

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
update....they have all you need at train li. just checked-under lgb repair parts freight cars!
disregard my ramblings below.

The QM, Its the same as the four axel wpy caboose.

Stack is large, to accomodate an lgb 18 v smoke unit. Optional, but intended.
I compared the 4065 and the QM stacks. ......big difference in the base diameter which needs to fit over/around the tube protruding from the roof. I DO think, one could find tubing, and, then attach the smaller 4065, if that's the only option. WHile the caboose is in current production from marklin, I find parts difficult to obtain.

As for the cupola light, i have used an amber 3mm led . i did not flatten the end, but one could i think. I used a round disc under the base of the LED to give it a similar look to the stock dummy.

Another not very thoughtful option might be either a large thick sprue of clear from something, cut to fit, or, buying some clear solid tubing for arcitectural models and some tamaya clear orange paint.

I run the led, a blinker, straight off a 1.5 AA, mebbee two. Its been years since i installed it. I also drilled the rear end duumy lights and inserted lgb 5v reds. Runs in series off a 9 v, but today id go red led. Have to say, the end lights, lighted look great.

You may have to find a tube, angle the bottom to the roof, and cap with a tee top. Or, buy a 4065 style and see if it might " do". Good luck

Last edited:

gnm109

Registered
27 Apr 2014
Sacramento County, California
Visit site
Best answers
So did the Queen Mary range use standard parts from similar items in the LGB range?

I just saw your question. I can't answer for all of the Queen Mary series since the main ones I have are the 47160 Two Bay Covered Hoppers which are a favorite of mine. INonetheless, the Queen Mary hoppers and the regular ones are identical and are all extremely well detailed.

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Same parts as the White Pass Caboose.....I have one sitting here...Only the White Pass ever had a caboose like that one. If I rememer, correctly, it was paired with a Diesel Locomotive, in black, lettered for the same railroad....it was in the special issue for one year of the Queen Mary LS Show.....
Fred Mills

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Best answers
Country flag
The LGB North American style two bay hopper cars are modelled after an "East Broad Top RR narrow gauge car". A few of these hopper cars were sold to various narrow gauge railroads, as second hand equipment, and are used for ballast service. The White Pass may have a few, and the Colorado NG lines have a few also.
LGB has always felt free to letter its equipment for any railroad that might attract a toy train purchaser.
For anyone who cares, it is best to do a bit of research, before purchasing, if they want authentic equipment for their model railroad. The information is out there, and rather easy to find. The "Queen Mary" caboose, and this two bay hopper car, are just two examples.
Fred Mills

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Best answers
Country flag
I'm just waiting to see if LGB letters their "NEW" $4000.00 rotary" for the RGS, White Pass, or D&RGW, to try to sell one or two to unsuspecting toy train collectors...!!!
Are we having fun yet ?
Fr.Fred

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting that LGB coined the name of Queen Mary for these Cabooses. The name actually was coined for the SR Bogie Brake Vans which were developed for Fast Goods Trains. I think that you will agree the only similarity is that they are Bogied vehicles.671C7467-916A-4C23-9B85-4F4E50F03793.jpeg

Link to UK site explaining about QM Vehicles and some more detail of the British versions.

http://www.semgonline.com/vandw/brakevans04.html

Certainly a case of a British Name being coined for something from the US rather than the other way round though this time presumably done by the Germans. Oh how we weave a complex thread around our Model Railways.

Oh hope you get your missing bits OK.

Reactions: 1 users

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Best answers
Country flag
The "Queen Mary" name for this LGB line came from the then Annual Train Show, held on the old ocean liner, Queen Mary, grouned out on the "Left Coast" of the USofA.
Those were the "Good Old Days"...even if one was not an LGB collector...although I never attended one of those shows, or have ever stood on a beach in California, USofA.. much later, by at least 10 years; I acquired an LGB Queen Mary Caboose, at a quarter the price originally charged for it... with the box, which I used for starting a warming fire in the fireplace.!!!
Fr.Fred

Reactions: 1 user

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Best answers
Country flag
If a person, had the space, and a real "Guards'/brake" van like that was available, it could make a great cabin, with outdoor all weather seating...along with space for a BBQ grill...
I wonder if any were preserved for this ?
Fr.Fred