LGB Open Wagon Modification 99-03-14

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
19,580
3,920
72
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
In my ever increasing quest for something a little more like what could be seen in East Germany on the Selktalbahn back in 1981 I came across this interesting variation with a raised end.
E3DF03BA-503C-4586-9149-67FBE7A7DA26.jpeg
Some time back I bought this open from Gizzy, it came as a Bogie Wagon but that was swopped over from a 4 wheel coach that should have had a bogie. The lettering was removed with a fibre pen leaving the open as shown below.
B29A838E-1519-4D09-BC96-3291B3D1EFF7.jpeg 39BDE5C7-B895-4627-AD16-83D607B992C0.jpeg
Part of the work was also to make the door a metal one so this was attended to first. Part of that process also required some rivet removal. 2DA8E542-CEB2-4C62-AE74-2BDA13920AC5.jpeg
Plasticard overlays were cut out of 20 thou plasticard to size with some supports to match where the cross beam was still present so that the metal simulated doors could be 802’d on.
7723AAFA-2564-49F6-AE25-8F416047D029.jpeg
Having glued the metal pieces on I then cut more 20 thou plasticard into thin strips to represent the frames. 5C9FB460-4BBB-40EF-8842-937332185358.jpeg
Next up was the raised end cut from some 50-60 thou plasticard. Raised U channel has also been added to the top as have Fake Rivets for the ever useful Cambrian bits N bobs. The Handbrake is a test of something lurking in the bits box but should be a lever rather than a wheel. I also need to add some more flat to represent ribbing on each side with rivets then we may be ready for the paint booth. Oh yes the original handrail holes have been filled to recieve some hand made ones. Also plasticard overlays on the end strapping once the rivets were removed. Need to donthat on the other end as well then add a new bit to the side with Cambrian Rivets.
042A4B43-B60F-473A-961A-92E7AAFBB568.jpeg
After that Wagon Labels and the all important Wagon Card will be required plus put the body back on its 4 wheel chassis then it will be ready to enter service on the Flourspar Circuit.
 
Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
19,580
3,920
72
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Having put the end pieces on it was then time to add some more metal detail on the sides. The ends pieces are plain with riveted ones inside, quite possibly there were new bits added and the riveted bits were original but san fairy ann new ones with Cambrian rivets are the order of the day. Note that the old rivets on the ends were filed off for the plain overlays. Oh while we are at it, any eagle eyed reader noticed that there are 4 down centre T metals per side rather than just two on the real one? I decided that this was going to be accepted. I do have a wagon that would have matched that requirement but it is 2 planks short all round and I want it for my small French fleet. Below you can see the plasticard pieces just 3mm wide being held while the glue dries.
31260925-44AE-40E0-B974-03B2F97FF6B4.jpeg
Here you can see another issue with this, the chassis where the buffer beam is too short. A couple of fill in pieces have been made to match this up. Also here is the fabricated metal brake lever and rodding. The bottom end will just have to be plain as I a, do not know it it should look like and b, there is not much space to put anthing due to the LGB Couplings.
F1743C00-97B5-4693-89B1-A13FEF2A3A2E.jpeg
End Hand Rails have been made up out of Mains Wire, bent at each end to make an elongated U. To the left you can see the jig that I used to ensure that all of the holes were in the right place both sides and at each end.

57FF17E4-815E-4E1E-B590-FE8EF1A23EC1.jpeg
Here you can see Cambrian Rivets have been placed in the relevant spots, taking reference from Pictures. Oh and the two bits of under-frame inserts have been added to the body rather than the frame.
7242F192-B77A-44CA-B3AE-A13CEEBC4187.jpeg
Now it has been given an all over blow with Halfords Undercoat Red.
4F9CEB68-0378-42FF-9A6D-ECACB57C71B9.jpeg
Then there was the footsteps to attend to. These were made up from some Nickel Silver with 2 holes to take soldered shortened pins to help secure in place. The trusty Jig had some more holes drilled in it to ensure correct placing of these as well.
49F8794F-AA42-4C0A-BEE1-A3248D1C6B13.jpeg
Oh a general pic of the chaotic workbench whilst making this and doing other things while things dry off etc.
1F1D2DF1-4E25-47FF-AFE4-BBF835F50BCC.jpeg
Here you can see the the steps and brake have been sprayed Halfords Matt Black and fitted showing another simple jig to ensure that the handrails are stepped off the body equally at each end. Oh and a number has appeared as well.
2921C713-DAA4-4003-B8C2-330EAAAF0F6D.jpeg
I dee ided to weather this and the contents of a water based bottle that has been used to clean brushes has been liberally slopped over the inside here, a tiny drop of washing up liquid helps it to stop puddling in place but spread over. Oh and the allimportant Wagon Card can be seen. More labels have also been added to the side, not exactly as the prototype but in my standard style.
3A667C1C-03AE-4A0B-8770-9B3788C58DF3.jpeg
Here in the sun after the same weathering treatment has been applied to the main body.
4E9616BD-B9CF-4327-A230-F28D842F0156.jpeg
This picture below shows a then and now to see how much has changed, not a lot but a few days rather tha the morning work that I expected.
D9B5F741-407F-4A97-B3DB-62671865B4A5.jpeg EDIT just noticed a black line in this pic which is a little squiggle feom when I combined the 2 pics on Penultimate so that they could be seen as before and after. If you look at the previous pic you can see that the line is not present. Doh!
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user