LGB MTS 2 problem

madman1981

Registered
26 Dec 2009
Milton Keynes
Best answers
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to Gscalecentral so a big hello to all, ive been tinkering with Gscale for about 23 yrs now (im only 29) and was on Gscale Mad which is sadly now shut (ive recently taken a yr or so brake from G scale).

Ive recently stumbled accross a problem with my LGB MTS 2 Central unit. everytime i plug it into the transformer it trips it out striaght away and seems to be pullying a large amount of current. The problem first occured when running an MTS converted USA trains GP38 on the track and now the MTS 2 central unit wont work at all. ive had this trouble in the past with an MTS 2 unit but luckily it was in guarentee so i just sent it back but now being out of guarentee no such luck. Im wondering if anyone else has had this trouble and if its a easy fix (im doubting it). im thinking about ditching it and just upgrading to the 12amp massoth unit but lack of funds wont allow that for a few months so no more train running :wits: . Any ideas?

thanks in advance guys

Richard

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Richard
Unfortunately it sounds terminal unless you can look inside and see what component has gone pop. If it's out of warranty then you have nothing to lose in having a look. My first MTS2 unit had a similar problem and was replaced and luckily the second one has held on so far.
The USA trains locos can draw huge amounts of current but it's usually the decoders they fry not the central station. A mate of mine had his Aristo 10 amp controller go pop and short like this and it was just one component that had died. If you are lucky then the main chip won't be affected. If you can see what has died try RS components to see if you can get a replacement.

madman1981

Registered
26 Dec 2009
Milton Keynes
Best answers
hi,

the MTS unit has always been stored inside so shouldn't have gotten damp but you never know as it was the first time it had been used for a good few months. Has anyone sent a unit off to be fixed and a rough idea of costs? i would prefer the larger 12amp 1200Z but as i said before no cash so soon after christmas plus im moving my layout from garden to the loft :wits: so thats costing a little. i wasnt sure on opening the unit as knowing my luck springs etc will go everywhere :D.

cheers

Richard

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
madman1981 said:
i wasnt sure on opening the unit as knowing my luck springs etc will go everywhere :D.

As it's out of warranty then you aren't going to be any worse off for opening it as no springs etc will ping off although figuring out how to get into some LGB controllers is a nightmare as they glue things like the feet over the screws. Only worth having a look inside if you are confident that you could solder in a new component if anything is obviously wrong. Friend of mine has repaired an LGB jumbo and an Aristo 10 amp controller both of which had just blown one component which we were able to read the data on and order replacements for less than a fiver. If you aren't sure then you can always use the Massoth option.

madman1981

Registered
26 Dec 2009
Milton Keynes
Best answers
ive had a quick look inside and its basicly just a load of transistors with a large Cap in the middle, so im guessing its one of those which has failed due to it being fairly warm before failing!. whats the best way of checking if these are faulty or not?