idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Well i do like the sound of my VIk but the HF130C sound is just bad IMHO. I think its of a chaindriven DH instead a DM with connectingrods. Maybe fit an ESU L sometime where ESU is the ODM of mfx.
I agree about the sound of the HF130C, compared to the quality of the steam sounds (VIK and IK) it is poor and very limited. What is ODM please?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I think the confusion about 'changing CV's', comes from the simple fact that you are not able to use the 'change address' function on a Massoth system, as it changes more than just then address CV's..

This is the one thing nearly every user will want to change.. This 'doesn't work', so the myth you are not able to change CV's is born.. - More a misunderstanding on the user's part, than a full-blown failure.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I think the confusion about 'changing CV's', comes from the simple fact that you are not able to use the 'change address' function on a Massoth system, as it changes more than just then address CV's..

From my very limited experience using the Piko navigator and base station I've found that I can change the address (for short addresses at least) by using the write single CV function rather than the 'change address' function. I just write the required address to CV 1

It may be worth repeating that, for brand hew locos, I understand it's a good idea to run the loco on "nornal" DCC using its default address before changing anything.

Reactions: 1 user

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Just to confirm that the myth about not being able to change the CVs to turn on sound in DC mode is a myth, I did a small test using an LGB Kof diesel 23591 with factory fitted Maerklin sound decoder. I used PIKO 35005/35006 analog DC controller and Lenz LZV100 DCC command station for programming the CVs. On programming track I set CV 50 (alternative formats) to 2 (means analog DC and DCC but not mfx or Motorola) and CV 13 to 32 (meaning set F6 on in DC mode; F6 is set to turn on engine sounds) and CV 14 to 1 (meaning set F0 or lights on in DC mode). I ran the loco on DC track and sure enough (once voltage was high enough) the directional lights came on and engine sounds emanated. I then set CV13 to zero which meant F6 - engine sounds - would not be turned on, and then ran it on DC track and sure enough lights came on but silence. So it can be done and you don't have to use CS3. Hope this helps.

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
You can program them with your Massoth equipment..
BUT,
It is not a Massoth decoder, so things are not where 'we' expect, and certain 'nice to have' features on the Massoth, do not work because of this.
Case in point being changing the address:
The 'change address' feature on the Massoth system, changes more than just the address 'value', this is why it fails to a MFX decoder.. As long as you are aware of this, and change the individual CV's, then no problem.

I think it is more a case of it being 'different', having a lot more features (though Massoth are catching up, a little), so things are not where we expect them to be.

We are all so familiar with the way we have 'always' done it, change is hard. :think:

Could you explain further about changing a address of a Marklin mfx/dcc locomotive. I just bought a new LGB "Heidi" steamer and would like to change the defautl address 3 to something else. Are you saying that if I do that using my Massoth Navigator that it's going to screw up some of the existing CV settings that may cause operational problems with operating the loco on my layout using my Massoth Cental Station........if so how do I make the address change without impacting the mfx decoder's other settings?

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Could you explain further about changing a address of a Marklin mfx/dcc locomotive. I just bought a new LGB "Heidi" steamer and would like to change the defautl address 3 to something else. Are you saying that if I do that using my Massoth Navigator that it's going to screw up some of the existing CV settings that may cause operational problems with operating the loco on my layout using my Massoth Cental Station........if so how do I make the address change without impacting the mfx decoder's other settings?

Try this.
Run your loco on your DCC system for a short time on address three. The decoder should set itself to recognise your system. Then use the write CV facility (rather than change address) to change CV 1 to your desired address. If you wish to use an address greater than 99 you may also need to change CVs 17, 18 and 29.
Take a look about halfway down this web page. DCC CV29 Calculator

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag

The very first thing to do is run your loco, on your DCC system, on the default address of '3'. - This lets the decoder know you are wanting to use DCC.

You then need to understand a little about addressing, and what the Massoth system is doing, is all..

When you use the 'change address' option on your Navigator, it writes a number of CV values to do all the changes in one go. - The assumption being you are changing a Massoth decoder, with Massoth equipment.

You then need to understand a little about the NMRA DCC standard, and just what is needed to set short, and long, addresses..

A short address is set with CV 1 and if you are changing from the default address of '3', to a new short address, then this is the only CV you need to change.

A long address, is set with two CV values, CV's 17 and 18. You then need to inform the decoder you want to use the long address, by setting a 'bit' in CV 29.

There are calculators on the Internet, which will do the work of calculating CV's 17 and 18. - The calculation is also shown in the Massoth decoder documentation, and it is a good 'mental exercise' to work-through this (even if only once) so you know what is being done.

You then need to set Bit 5 (decimal value 32) in CV 29. - READ CV 29, note the value, add '32' to the value, write this new value to CV 29.

For completeness:

There is a third address, CV 19 is the 'Multiple Unit Address' (value 1-99) and is used to set the address you would use when the loco is in a 'Consist'. - Known as 'Double-heading' here in the UK.

HTH
PhilP.