LGB MFX Decoder CV Help?

R. Wolfe

Registered
25 Jun 2017
Pennsylvania
Best answers
Country flag
My final hypothesis is: without tearing the model back open and is strictly based on the CV data shows voltage setting to be 255. That is full track voltage from the Decoder. I have come to the conclusion that on this Model 21985 and most likely on the 20752 is that the smoke unit voltage is controlled by the main circuit board of the loco and not by the Decoder. It appears they are only using the Decoder as an on / off switch. Stay tuned after Christmas ( Christmas Present and Wife won't let me play yet) as I will be testing another MFX Loco with poor smoke output. A totally different set up as it uses a pulsed smoke unit instead of a standard 5 volt unit. Richard

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Will be interesting to see what Marklin are supplying as a pulsed smoker??

Please keep us informed..
Oh, and be good! - Else 'Santa' won't visit!! :eek::giggle::giggle:

R. Wolfe

Registered
25 Jun 2017
Pennsylvania
Best answers
Country flag
Well said Philip. I agree 100%. I can't wait to do some more exploring as I am determined to get this decoder whipped into shape using my massoth equipment. My next project is to try and get the Sound to turn on while running in analog. Shame these Loco's are so expensive but I finally had to pick one to play with. I will save that project for another thread.

R. Wolfe

Registered
25 Jun 2017
Pennsylvania
Best answers
Country flag
Just an FYI. I did take a quick peak as the front cover was laying in the box. It must of popped off during shipping. I did not look long as someone was looking over my shoulder and tamping Her foot. She did allow a quick test run that is why I know smoke output seemed to be under par. It was somewhat covered by the mounting bracket but a quick glance appears to be a Massoth round boiler smoke unit. WILL SAVE THIS FOR A FUTURE THREAD SOMETIME AFTER CHRISTMAS. I have a LGB 26814 with pulsed smoke that seems to work just fine. My only beef with that is it seems very fragile and very expensive. I would be afraid to have to open that one up.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
BTW I found some instructions for the 21980 which is the green equivalent model to your black one, and that has a pulsed smoke unit, so I imagine your 21985 has too. Do you hear a fan running when the smoke is turned on?
"Smoke Unit
This model is equipped with a smoke unit. Fill the smoke stack only halfway with
smoke fluid. If you put in too much fluid, the smoke unit cannot produce smoke.
The smoke generator may be filled with a maximum of 5 – 6 milliliters / 0.2 fluid
ounces of 2421 smoke fluid.
Note: The smoke unit can be operated “dry“ without smoke fluid. When the tank is
empty, the heating and the fan will turn off after about 2 minutes."

i too have the 21980.
i have an old MTS 3 and series handheld control 55015 i recall.

would anyone be able to tell me what to do to turn on the smoke with these devices?

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Just FYI I don't have CS3 and I can program Maerklin decoders fully. My command station is Lenz LZV100. If you adjust the protocol CV mentioned in earlier post #9 you will be fine.

Edit: this was in response to Richard not your question Steve which appeared after I had typed my posting!

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
stevedenver stevedenver does it not smoke if you press F7? Assuming you have added smoke fluid! :)

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Always double check you have locked the decoder to programming changes, before tinkering with the other unit. - Pulsed smoker has a decoder, so there are TWO in the loco..

Else, you tweak something, and do not know which (both?) decoder(s) have altered.

Personally, I prefer a physical switch in the feed to each decoder..

R. Wolfe

Registered
25 Jun 2017
Pennsylvania
Best answers
Country flag
To answer Steve's Question, yes use F7. Also that Loco has a pulsed smoker. It requires more fluid (try at least 1-2 ML to start) to smoke than the usual normal smoke units. The manual should tell you the maximum amount of smoke to use. I usually don't go past 3 ML.

Question for Dave. I am kind of new to Posting and I have not had good luck finding forums with the search method. What is Post #9 and where can I find it? Thanks, Richard

Reactions: 1 user

R. Wolfe

Registered
25 Jun 2017
Pennsylvania
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry Dave, I just figured out what post#9 is. I did not realize I was on page two. I probably phrased my comment wrong about programming with CS3. I really meant to say that a lot of people including myself were led to believe at one time that a CS2 or 3 was the only way to program certain CV's on the MFX. Also was led to believe if I attempted to change any CV's with anything else and it would change all kind of settings that you did not want to happen. I know now that is not the case. You helped me realize that the CS3 was not really needed and full programming is possible with out. That is a huge savings in my pocket. I love my Massoth and I was also thinking about trying a Lenz system for doing Computer Control of the trains.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Always double check you have locked the decoder to programming changes, before tinkering with the other unit. - Pulsed smoker has a decoder, so there are TWO in the loco..

Else, you tweak something, and do not know which (both?) decoder(s) have altered.

Personally, I prefer a physical switch in the feed to each decoder..
Does the Maerklin pulsed smoke unit have a decoder like the Massoth one? I have never dared to open my LGB VIK to find out.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks, ill try F7 and report back.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I have had no problems using Massoth to change CVs on an Mfx - but - I only change individual CVs. I dont try to use the Massoth template because of course - some CVs are used very differently on the Mfx - take CV 50 as an example.

R. Wolfe

Registered
25 Jun 2017
Pennsylvania
Best answers
Country flag
I really appreciate all the valuable info. I sure am learning a lot and I hope others are too. It is sure nice for you all to share your experiences with it. You sure are a wonderful group to chat with. I have been playing and learning the LGB & Massoth decoders for the last 5 years and I am still learning. I am very excited to finally have the confidence to start trying to learn programming the MFX. Just an FYI, my equipment is a Massoth Navigator paired to a Piko Central Station.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
...I love my Massoth and I was also thinking about trying a Lenz system for doing Computer Control of the trains.
There are many ways to do computer control but as it happens I use Lenz. More specifically Lenz LZV100 command station and Lenz 23151 LAN/USB Interface to connect to my laptop over wireless Ethernet which runs Rocrail software.

palmerston

trains
24 Oct 2009
Netherlands, near Aachen ;-)
Best answers
Country flag
Would be nice to have a MFX decoder template (.xml) to use with the Massoth PC Modul.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I have created an MFX decoder template for the Lenz CV software but I assume it is different format to Massoth. It was not difficult just tedious.

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

palmerston

trains
24 Oct 2009
Netherlands, near Aachen ;-)
Best answers
Country flag
Seems that all info about this file has been deleted from the internet.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Seems that all info about this file has been deleted from the internet.

Someone created the template for their own use, and (I think) it got offered on here??
It is not a 'commercially' created / distributed template, to my knowledge..