LGB locos with dealer-fitted chips - silver "D" stickered?

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Re:Red DUO KoF (was: Re:LGB locos with dealer-fitted chips - silver "D" stickered?)

Jon,
It's the right board but it has had many components removed.

09b73f373a844d28b1c3bd099eb5da5e.jpg

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Re:Red DUO KoF (was: Re:LGB locos with dealer-fitted chips - silver "D" stickered?)

Jon,
the Massoth 'L' is a direct replacement. It will take you two minutes to pull out the old and reconnect the new board. The decoder mount clips are designed for the 'L' decoder (same size as #55020 and #55021 LGB decoders).

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag

dutchelm said:
Jon,
It's the right board but it has had many components removed.

images

Thanks for the pic, Mike, very useful - yes, it looks like who ever did the conversion snipped off all components that were rendered unnecessary by the MTS chipping. The black box (relay??) sits where the IC chip is in your pic.

Tim, thanks, that's what I assumed but though I've installed several "LS" chips I've never used a plain "L". Though the LS is physically the same size as the L, it is obviously a very different chip with different connectors. Does the "L" have exactly the same pin connections for the plug-on terminals as the old 55020 has?

Jon.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

Jon,

The Massoth L is a direct replacement for the LGB 55020 & 55021 decoders even down to the connectors.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers

Zerogee said:
Just as an aside, would it be a straight swap-in to replace the aged 55020 decoder with a same-sized modern equivalent (probably a Massoth L)? At present the motor seems quite noisy, which I feel may be down to the old decoder as all the gearing etc. seems to be fine.

Jon.

Yes to the drop in. You'll need a Massoth L for a direct equivalent, though depending on your willingness to play with solder and the current draw of the uncouplers, a cheaper "M" might suffice.

It's quite possible that the 55020 is responsible for motor noise. I had the same issue in 1998/99 with some of my first conversions. The issue magically disappeared when they were replaced with 55021 chips. I believe the output frequency was better tuned to Buhler motors in the 55021s.