LGB HSB Coaches, colour match

Tomclarke7802

Registered
31 Aug 2020
Kidderminster
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all, my first post here.
I have bought over time a rake of several LGB DR/HSB coaches in the lighter red/cream livery, all second hand. I have sourced some transfers to re-number some of these coaches so I don’t have duplicate vehicles, rubbing down the old decals reveals the cream paint under the red before the transfer turns invisible, So would anyone know the closest match to the red using a car spray paint (Halfords etc)? If not a way of removing the white factory applied decals without rubbing through the red.
Kind regards
Tom

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
They tend to be printed not decals so hard if not impossible to remove without removing the paint underneath. Don't know the RAL number for HSB red but the shades vary and maybe sun lightened. Maybe best to find closest enamel paint mix and paint over the old number or maybe just the digits that need to change and then apply transfer over that. Not done this so may be talking out of my hopefully not usual orifice but that's what I would do.

Brixham

No buffers were hurt at this sign
27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Try this next time...
OO scale modelers use T-Cut...( other proprietary car paint restorative fluids available ) and applied with a cotton bud carefully rub over the printed lettering and gradually wear it away. Once the lettering is removed, the area will have a polished look, ideal for new lettering. Once the new lettering has been applied, a light coat of matching varnish ( satin probably a good starting point ) to seal in.

Malcolm

Reactions: 1 user

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I have used t-cut to remove unwanted lettering but not sure the method would work on printed lettering on a painted surface no matter how careful you were. T-cut works fine if the lettering is on the moulded plastic. At least that is my experience.