LGB Light blue colour match

Windym87

Registered
28 May 2022
Warwick
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all

Does anyone know a suitable match for LGB Light blue as on the blue and cream starter coaches and Zillertalbahn bogie coaches.

Sod’s law when taking off some of the lettering on the Zillertalbahn cream and blue coach, the blue now needs touching up.

Preferably an enamel colour as the coach will go off to a friend to spray.

Any suggestions?

41AB9B61-3514-4B44-8C06-D906A5D1926B.jpeg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Back in the Ruschbahn days I used one of the Halfords Blues as a good match, sorry to say (just looked) that I have none left so can’t quote it but this may jog a memory.

Windym87

Registered
28 May 2022
Warwick
Best answers
Country flag
Back in the Ruschbahn days I used one of the Halfords Blues as a good match, sorry to say (just looked) that I have none left so can’t quote it but this may jog a memory.
Thanks, printing on this coach was tougher than expected.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I have used tamaya spray french blue, as i recall, for doors. (It may have been just ‘blue’. Cap Appears a slightly dark royal blue. I am sure it was tamaya). I dont have any left otherwise i find the exact number of the color.

its very close but not exact. For the door, it works quite well. Not sure it would be appropriate for your need, unless you can feather.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
The problem with colour matches is that unless you know the colour reference (RAL, BS, Pantone, etc) , or get it scanned, you will only get a near match. Which will stick out like a sore thumb. Never mind matching the finnish. If you must, create aa match by eye and then apply with an airbrush using a very light but focused spray pattern. Then use a compatible laquer (matt/satin/gloss) all over. If it were just the rivet detail then it would be easier to hide. But then I'm a bit of a pedant with these things :) You might wish to apply the "six foot" rule. Or you try a bit of "weathering" to disguise the blemish. Max

Windym87

Registered
28 May 2022
Warwick
Best answers
Country flag
The problem with colour matches is that unless you know the colour reference (RAL, BS, Pantone, etc) , or get it scanned, you will only get a near match. Which will stick out like a sore thumb. Never mind matching the finnish. If you must, create aa match by eye and then apply with an airbrush using a very light but focused spray pattern. Then use a compatible laquer (matt/satin/gloss) all over. If it were just the rivet detail then it would be easier to hide. But then I'm a bit of a pedant with these things :) You might wish to apply the "six foot" rule. Or you try a bit of "weathering" to disguise the blemish. Max
Yeah that’s exactly my issue I don’t want it to stand out like a sore thumb.

Might have to find somewhere locally that does colour matching.

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Did you get a result on this, have a similar request but for a zugspitz set, I have a pantone chart her so can match that way i guess.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Did you get a result on this, have a similar request but for a zugspitz set, I have a pantone chart her so can match that way i guess.
Trouble with trying to mtch paint, is that the original can fade over time. The best thing to do is the the item to you local pint place and see if you can match it there, rathe than rely on colour swatches

Reactions: 1 user

meiningen8

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all

Does anyone know a suitable match for LGB Light blue as on the blue and cream starter coaches and Zillertalbahn bogie coaches.

Sod’s law when taking off some of the lettering on the Zillertalbahn cream and blue coach, the blue now needs touching up.

Preferably an enamel colour as the coach will go off to a friend to spray.

Any suggestions?

View attachment 300854
Try RAL 5017 Verkehrsblau

Reactions: 1 user

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Trouble with trying to mtch paint, is that the original can fade over time. The best thing to do is the the item to you local pint place and see if you can match it there, rathe than rely on colour swatches
yes agree, im looking to repaint other items in the same blue and create a fleet !

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Try RAL 5017 Verkehrsblau
Im a declared selective "Luddite" in many areas of technology but the web translation services are a great tool to someone who was "asked" to leave german lessons once, Verkehrsbla = Traffic !!! lol As a printer im a Pantone code user.

Traffic blue​

Traffic blue (RGB: Red 0, Green 90, Blue 140 )
Color code: #005A8C
Traffic blue is the name for the RAL color 5017 (RGB: 005A8C, CMYK: 100c 60m 0y 10k ).[ 1 ][ 2 ] The blue color component of Traffic signs is applied in traffic blue. In Switzerland and Liechtenstein they are Local tables kept in traffic blue on main roads. Also are Police vehicles painted or folded in traffic blue in Germany.[ 3 ]