LGB F7

gnm109

Registered
27 Apr 2014
Sacramento County, California
Visit site
Best answers
As I mentioned earlier, I have nearly all LGB rolling stock in freight an passenger cars. I loved the quality and detail on the USA Trains GP7/9 that I had for some 15 years until I got the F7 from LGB. The difference in scale was quite noticeable so I sold the GP and added a B unit to the F7 A. All is compatible now.

There's nothing wrong with Aristo or USA Trains, however, so long as you are mostly invested in each system so that the scale differences are not all that noticeable.

I still have the Aristo Track Maintenance caboose, which is something like a 1:32 I guess. It's very small compared to the LGB Cabooses that I have, but it's a sentimental favorite and it's a great track cleaner. I'm sorry that the Aristo will no longer be made and they are drying up now, especially on eBay. This increases the prices for the rolling stock.

The thing that I liked about the Aristo 2 axle freight cars is that they are easily made into track cleaners with the addition of a weight and some dry wall sandpaper. I keep some of those aroiund and my tracks are always clean and ready to go.

Happy Railroading!

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Actualy that "bobber" caboose is closer to 1:24, but it is a model of a caboose that is small in real life... whereas the LGB caboose is huge (I have one) and is a model of a large prototoype. From what I have seen it is about 1:26, as compared to my other cabeese... although the only scale cabooses in 1:29 are made by USAT pretty much, the "long" caboose from Aristo is 1:24, the first product REA/Aristo made, a scaled up copy of a Lionel O gauge model.

I agree, easy to put a cleaning pad on that 2 axle chassis, I also have a sweeper on one of those chassis.

Greg

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
True that Marklin made the all-metal Maxi range of models, including an F7, many years ago, and they WERE in Gauge 1. They were not a great success, though, and I bleeve that the remainder of them were bought up by Jerry Hyde in Ohio [?[ who converted them to real-live diesel models. The CURRENT Marklin/LGB model is the older LGB model with a set of spiffy chrome sides, and is made to the usual very odd LBG scale of 1/27th - used for what are ostensibly standard gauge locos like the non-longer-made Mikados of SNCF and Santa Fe.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Something to be aware of with the LGB models:
If you have an older LGB model, you will not be able to link it to a newer MLGB model, as the interlink cabling is not the same. - Different signals on the wires, apparently. :wondering:

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
The newest F7 from LGB_Marklin has the sound and elctronics in the A unit. B unit only has a speaker. Wires are different so the New F7A can not be cabled to the old F7B.

You can cable the new LGB/Marklin F7A units to the older LGB F7B units if you replace the socket on the F7B unit.