LGB F7 diesel soundboards in non-LGB analogue locos.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Inspired by my success following Beavercreek`s similar topic using LGB Uintah steam soundboards I decided to attempt something similar with diesels.

A mate has two USA trains F3 A and B unit pairs and would like sound adding at a reasonable price. I noticed that Model-Land-Service`s site were offering older style LGB F7B boards with storage capacitors at a reasonable price. Shipping isn`t cheap but when the time came to place an order for something else I added three of these boards. Why three? One board for each pair with the third as an insurance against blowing one up! Hopefully this third may be fitted to another loco sometime in the future.

My German is very poor but, with the aid of an on line translator I realised that Model-Land-Service offered to modify the boards "for solo operation". I went for this option, on inspection it appears to consist of two solder bridges on the underside of the fourteen pin socket joining the pins as shown by the yellow lines in the image.

With the help of the relevant service sheets, (available on line from Champex-Linden) comparison with the Unitah boards and knowledge of LGB colour codes I managed to work out all connections except that for the second speaker. I was aware that the board had two amplifiers, these were easy to recognise and then find the pin data. My multimeter confirmed that the output of one connected to the pair of connections adjacent to the speaker symbol on the board with the output of the other connected to the two in the ten pin socket marked on the image.

Yesterday I bench tested the first board and it seemed to make all the right noises so, when I  finish the Piko sound unit and Massoth chip installation in another mate`s Piko 218 I`ll start working out how to install the board, speakers and sensors in the USA Trains F3s.

To be continued....................

IMG_0261 (1200 x 900).jpg

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent stuff as usual Neil.

I might be interested in using those sound boards for a few F3 diesels in tandem with a few soundless decoders that I have.
My Uintah sound board installations into the Annies worked on DC track and DCC track voltage with chuff regulated by the hall sensor and magnets on the wheel.
Are your F7 boards working on the same principle?
Are you using the LGB hall sensor setup or are you doing a DIY like we did with the Annies?

How much were the boards with the modification...and without...

EDIT...they seem to have sold out..or I may be looking in the wrong place.........

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
For speed sensing I intend using eight button magnets with alternating polarities glued on the back of a wheel in conjunction with a TLE 4945L Hall effect sensor as you did with the Annies.

For supply details have a look at this link
http://www.modell-land-service.de/soundplatine-20582-santa-einheit-69800s317-p-9496.html

I had a long wait for my boards and the supplier didn't answer many of my emails. I suspect he was/is rather busy and it was my request for the modification that delayed matters. As the mod appears to be a simple job I suggest ordering them as is. There didn't appear to be any charge for the modification on my invoice.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Neil,
if only this info was available about eight years ago. Like many, post the 'meltdown', I picked up several 'see-through' F7 A/B sets just to get the sound boards. However, the info at the time was that it was too hard to accomplish a non-LGB installation and I doubt that anyone successfully transposed the boards to non-LGB locomotives. All was not lost as I onsold the locomotives for a small profit.

As regards the Sumpter Mallet sound boards in a non-sound analogue Uintah Mallett, I foolishly assumed a straight swap. Alas, that required a lot of research, use of a multimeter and non-standard wiring to accomplish. Never again!!!!!!!

Tim

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the link Neil...I was looking at the 'red' Model-Land shop not the 'blue' one.
When I did the Uintah sound boards in the Annies there was a good gap for the magnets on the backs of the tender wheels...is there a good gap and mounting position for the hall sensor (that doesn't foul underneath or the centre speaker pod) on the USAT blocks?

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
beavercreek said:
When I did the Uintah sound boards in the Annies there was a good gap for the magnets on the backs of the tender wheels...is there a good gap and mounting position for the hall sensor (that doesn't foul underneath or the centre speaker pod) on the USAT blocks?

Don't know yet. One idea I've had is inspired by LGB's B unit, namely removing at least one of the motors and fitting the sensors in its place. This should give enough space and minimise any interference from the motor's magnet.

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds like a good idea Neil.
The only problem for me would be losing a motor as I triple head to be able to pull six of the metal streamlined coaches up my 1:10 inclines. I also quad head so could maybe lose a motor in the fourth unit and then feed the info to the kind boards in the other units....

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Well two A B pairs of USA Trains F3 units have now been successfully fitted with these boards and the owner is most impressed by the sound quality.

The delay was partly due to other more urgent work and the fact that the owner was in no hurry to get his locos back. In this case intensive testing was justified as the locos, acquired second hand, had had a hard life and need a fair bit of other attention, including making and fitting brass sleeves to all 32 half axle fitting bosses!

I'm no longer inclined to post "how to" topics on the forum as several have disappeared, at least in part, over the years.

However I will endeavour to assist anyone attempting a similar installation via P.M. or email.