LGB Bear Trap Sound Gone.

Riverbear

Registered
15 Dec 2020
Maryville, TN
Best answers
Hey there,

I am new to this G Scale Central. Anyone out there with a Bear Trap that has sound that has faded? It may be something simple but when I turn the volume up all the way underneath the tender I hardly have any sound. Any of my fellow G scalers out there with a Bear Trap LGB have the same problem? Is it simple? All else works on the Bear Trap.

Thank you,

Riverbear

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, fortunately we don't get many bears loose over here, so bear traps are quite scarce :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: . Hope you have a sense of humour!
Seriously, I'm sure someone on here will be able to help.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
The first diagnostic question I would ask is, while in your possession, has the output volume always been low, or was it good before and has changed for the worse.

Again, since you have owned it.

Greg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Knowing LGB volume controls............................

Have you tried turning it the other way?

PhilP.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
So, ill guess wildly....
does the capacitor need to be charged by runnning @10-12v for 3-4 minutes?, does your mogul have a battery in the tender, under the coal load? It may need to be changed. The pot may have oxidation, rotate it back and forth several times to loosen oxidation, or spray it with contact cleaner. Or, its connection to the board may be loose, broken.... Check the wiring harness, from loco to tender, as the wires break with repeated insertion and removal...you may have only a strand or 2 conveying signal...thats it, im done....

Riverbear

Registered
15 Dec 2020
Maryville, TN
Best answers
So, ill guess wildly....
does the capacitor need to be charged by runnning @10-12v for 3-4 minutes?, does your mogul have a battery in the tender, under the coal load? It may need to be changed. The pot may have oxidation, rotate it back and forth several times to loosen oxidation, or spray it with contact cleaner. Or, its connection to the board may be loose, broken.... Check the wiring harness, from loco to tender, as the wires break with repeated insertion and removal...you may have only a strand or 2 conveying signal...thats it, im done....

Hey Steve, Great advice. The first thing I did was change the battery. I am going to do those things. You have been very helpful and oxidation sounds like a real possibility. Thank you for your suggestion.

rivergriz

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Check also the slide switches on the remote chance they’re dirty or are partially moved, one on the tender, one on the loco....
and, typically, the wires between loco and tender breaks at the edge of the plug, from pulling and the sharp edge.
if this is the situation, you can carefully prise open the clip. Remove the old section end, trim, and insert the new portion of the old original wire. The clip has tiny teeth that penetrate the plastic. Carefully align and slow close and secure the plug retaining clips...sorry my memory is fuzzy, as i did this at least ten years ago. What then did it to thicken and reinforce the “ hinge” point, ie right at the clip edge, typically where one would grip/pull. I used, i think, shoe goo or hot glue, simply to enlarge the Wire area and Spread And reduce the bend area.

Last edited:

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Is this the LGB Mogul or the Forney?

LGB 27251 Colorado and Southern Forney 2-4-4T # 23 with Bear Trap Smoke Stack.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The c and s forney didnt come with a bear trap

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers