beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Neil

I have been reliably informed by a source in Germany that the sounds will be available within two weeks (well that is the plan). They have been done primarily for a dealer over there who has dealt with and serviced LGB/Asters (including of course, the K28) for some time. He would supply the ESU/Massoth decoder with the sounds.

I have the Phoenix programmer but not a PB8 or PB11 sound board so I have to factor that cost into the equation.
I could, as a possibility, use an old Phoenix 2K2 that I had earmarked for another project as it is also fine to use with a DCC decoder.

I am not in a rush to get this done so I will wait to see about the ESU/Massoth sounds first, with the nice option to use a Phoenix board if the former is not as good as it could be.

The only benefit of using the combined sound decoder is the simplifying of the wiring.

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have just got hold of a set of the Aster K28 assembly diagrams. 5 Pages of them and very detailed too........... Now this has made life a lot easier :D :D :D

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
You could always combine a few Bachmann Annie parts together. This is my T12 and RGS #25. 'Woderick' did a beautiful RGS model.

T12 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yJM9xSL2DA

RGS #25 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1OcdLAnb2Y

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Tim
I think that you have got the wrong thread. This one was for the installation of DCC and sound into my Aster/LGB brass K28.

You might have been thinking of this one that I started a good while back....
http://www.gscalecentral.net/kit-building-bashing-scratch-build/little-and-large/

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
Mike are you competing with Jerry to see who can have the largest collection of rare brass Rio Grande locos in Essex? ;)

I'll make you green as I have a Berlyn 10 wheeler the same as your pic, looks good but runs like a pig!

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Steve
Tee Hee....definitely no competition at all...I have no idea of the extent of Jerry's loco stable.

As to 'Brass' locos I have had an Accucraft K27 and an ancient C16 for a very long time (both for a 'song' from The States) and a gaggle of 'Geese'...but...

I always wanted K28 to build a 'San Juan' or a 'Shevano' consist and was resigned to the fact that I would never get the funds for an Accucraft one let alone an Aster 1:22.5 version......One day I spotted an Aster one on auction and I just made a really silly low bid on one, not expecting to get it... and ...my bid was accepted (no-one was more shocked than me...I then had to pay for it!).

The Kiss K36 ended up very very cheap due to hard treatment on the journey across the pond and a big refund because of the damage (I have now fixed all of the damage for la lot less than I expected, due in part, to a very nice 16mm fellow who kindly mended the sheared motor bracket).

Your Berlyn 10 wheeler is a lovely thing to behold. I have also heard that it is a little 'trying' in the running department.

One day, after I recover my finances after the recent two purchases, I hopefully will complete my collection with an Accucraft T12...another 10 wheeler (not heard how well it runs though)

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mike,
Having faced the prospect of too many trains I don't run and lack of funds, I decided to sell off my Rio Grande 1:22.5 models and concentrate on RGS 1:20.3, however since I was lucky to buy them a few years ago the prices seem to of rocketed and it will be some time before I can afford another big loco. Steve Warrington offered me some great deals and I got the 10 wheeler used from him with a C-16 and diesel and a new C-19. He also offered me another 10 wheeler, a K-27 and K-28 but these were way out of my price range.
Our mutual friend got my Kiss K-36 and quite a few other goodies which I glad to see he is having fun running.
If you are looking for some brass 1:20.3 bargains the Custom Model Products closing down sale has some great Accucraft deals and the exchange rate is good at the moment. I have just got one of there 44 ton diesels for £360 including the customs charges!

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the heads up on 'Custom Model Products' Steve, but even if I had any more funds, I see that they have not a lot left now. You certainly got yourself a good deal on the diesel!

I will just keep an eye out for a T12 and continue to shed some of my 'spare' stuff to gather some funds, just in case one comes along. Wouldn't be surprised if the person you mentioned gets one.......................

I am about to motorise and DCC an LGB baggage car, which I have repainted into D&RGW pullman green, to 'help' the K36 or the K28 up my inclines pulling a set of passenger cars. The 'helper' will also help to 'brake' the downhill momentum that these free geared locos will have.

Graham

In Smoggy Land
10 Mar 2016
Middlesbrough, England
Best answers
I have just got hold of a set of the Aster K28 assembly diagrams. 5 Pages of them and very detailed too........... Now this has made life a lot easier :D :D :D
Hi Mike I know it's long ago but do you still have the diagrams as I have just purchased one of these beasties and it is in need of some tlc which would be greatly aided by having some idea of how it was put together :wasntme: