Jayarmin

Registered
20 Sep 2020
Durham uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,
After some advice about a LGB 5080switchbox
I recently built my own transformer 24 V DC 15 Amp. can I connect my two 5080 switch boxes directly to this. I know the boxes can run on DC but wasn’t sure about the voltage been too high or the amps

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Voltage and amps act differently.

Once connected, the voltage is sort of everywhere, like used or not, every socket in your house is 220 volts.... even with nothing plugged in.

Amps are a measure of what is flowing, and if there is nothing flowing, there are no amps, again like your house, the amps only flow depending on what is plugged in, a light bulb is less than a teapot.

So to your switchbox, 24 volts ok, no problem... amps? the contacts are rated on current each...

What do you intend to hook up to the switch boxes, and most importantly, how many amps EACH do they draw?

Greg

Jayarmin

Registered
20 Sep 2020
Durham uk
Best answers
Country flag
Literally going to a few LGB point motors six in total and two LGB signals

Jayarmin

Registered
20 Sep 2020
Durham uk
Best answers
Country flag
Great, last thing I wanted to do was blow them up

Jayarmin

Registered
20 Sep 2020
Durham uk
Best answers
Country flag
Now I’ve wired them up and the point is only throwing the switch one way and won’t return. Any ideas

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
you do realize normally you use AC... do you have your circuit diagram?

the search function can often answer your questions, try this thread to explain the operation:

Greg

Jayarmin

Registered
20 Sep 2020
Durham uk
Best answers
Country flag
Yes I’ve just built my own transformer. And my old one did have an AC outlet for the points.

Jayarmin

Registered
20 Sep 2020
Durham uk
Best answers
Country flag
It’s literally positive - negative from the transformer straight into the box and the points are each individual wired into Each switch

Jayarmin

Registered
20 Sep 2020
Durham uk
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry for the crude drawing basically yellow circle go straight to the transformer. White circle goes to each individual point

Last edited:

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Great, last thing I wanted to do was blow them up
If you use a 5080 on a points motor you will blow it up! The 5080 box has on/off switches. If you continuously power a point motor you will burn up its windings.
The 5080 can switch an ac or dc input voltage. Whether you use ac or dc depends on what you want to turn on or off.

But, I see from your photo you are actually using 51750 switch boxes for your points which is good! This is a momentary contact switch box. However, the LGB switch boxes, 5075, 5075N, 51750, etc. that operate points and signal motors require an ac input. They do not "swap the leads" to change the polarity of the voltage going to EPL points. These boxes instead use diodes to select whether the positive half or the negative half of the ac voltage wave is sent to EPL point motors.

Last edited:

Jayarmin

Registered
20 Sep 2020
Durham uk
Best answers
Country flag
If you use a 5080 on a points motor you will blow it up! The 5080 box has on/off switches. If you continuously power a point motor you will burn up its windings.

But, I see from your photo you are actually using 51750 switch boxes for your points which is good! This is a momentary contact switch box. However, the LGB switch boxes, 5075, 5075N, 51750, etc. that operate points and signal motors require an ac input. They do not "swap the leads" to change the polarity of the voltage going to EPL points. These boxes instead use diodes to select whether the positive half or the negative half of the ac voltage wave is sent to EPL point motors.
Ah dam never noticed that I put 5080 :(
Long day !

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
So you have actually fed DC into this?

You need an AC feed from the 'transformer'. - A transformer will only give AC out.. What you have built is either a 'power supply' (giving a fixed DC voltage) or a 'controller' (which can give a variable DC output).

Just tap the AC side of the power supply (before it goes into the rectifier), and feed this out to the switch box..

PhilP.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
At least 18 volts AC is needed to activate the EPL drives. LGB also sold a 'booster' which gives a stronger signal to throw the switch (actually a motor which can only do a 1/2 revolution).