LGB 32650 Pullman coach....passengers demand access

Brixham

No buffers were hurt at this sign
27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Recently, I acquired a good used unboxed example, and now wish to add more passengers...
How does the roof come off?
I've looked at the exploded diagram, and there don't seems to be any screws.

is it a case of just popping the roof off with fingers through the doors?

Malcolm

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Which LGB Pullman car. The luxury one of four that was originally built for the MOB then sold to the RhB?
If you poke a small flat screwdriver under the roof at the small spot at the end of the car near the corner you can lever and pop off the roof end then you will get an idea how it is held together and work your way along the side of the car. Look from below and up to under the top of the windows you will see elongated holes where the roof clips are located. Poke a suitable thin blade at these locations so the clips give way while pulling the roof up.

Is there anyone in Australia that wants to swap a plain RhB green one for a 31650 blue/cream Orient Express one which I have? It seems a pity to paint the one I have green to match what I need. :think:

As1142_Tirano_020519gr.jpg

Last edited:

Brixham

27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks...I'll give it a go....

The coach is the red/cream RhB #1142

Malcolm

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks...I'll give it a go....
The coach is the red/cream RhB #1142
Malcolm

The red/cream repaint happened in the 70's if I recall. The green/cream being used by military brass during the war years.
Gently poke the small flat screwdriver roughly where the red airline/cable thing goes in the prototype picture above. ;)

Last edited:

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Which LGB Pullman car. The luxury one of four that was originally built for the MOB then sold to the RhB?
If you poke a small flat screwdriver under the roof at the small spot at the end of the car near the corner you will pop off the roof end then you will get an idea how it is held together and work your way along the side of the car.
Look from below and up to under the top of the windows you will see elongated holes where the roof clips are located. Poke a suitable very thin tool at these locations so the clips give way while pulling the roof up.

Is there anyone in Australia that wants to swap a plain RhB green one for a 31650 blue/cream Orient Express one which I have? It seems a pity to paint the one I have green to match what I need. :think:

As1142_Tirano_020519gr.jpg
I've got a pair of green lower body sides somewhere - I did the reverse, but had to buy the OE panels from Germany.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I've got a pair of green lower body sides somewhere - I did the reverse, but had to buy the OE panels from Germany.

OK. I'll keep that in mind. The problem is the shipping when a coat of paint is inexpensive and the simple white RhB decals easy to do.
What did you do about the 'COMPAGNIE INTERNATIONALE DES WAGONS-LITS ET DES GRANDS EXPRESS EUROPEENS' above the windows?

I also have a pair of the original MOB ones in that really dark blue/cream with gold insignia' but as far as I know the MOB were an electric railway with no steam so I'm not very enthused but they are really nice to look at. :nod:
I'm in a dilemma. The ones I should have are not the classiest ones to look at.

Last edited:

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
OK. I'll keep that in mind. The problem is the shipping when a coat of paint is inexpensive and the simple white RhB decals easy to do.
What did you do about the 'COMPAGNIE INTERNATIONALE DES WAGONS-LITS ET DES GRANDS EXPRESS EUROPEENS' above the windows?

I also have a pair of the original MOB ones in that really dark blue/cream with gold insignia' but as far as I know the MOB were an electric railway with no steam so I'm not very enthused but they are really nice to look at. :nod:
I'm in a dilemma. The ones I should have are not the classiest ones to look at.
Waterside decals applied as individual letters. Check out my thread which covers much of my exploits including some printed vinyl stuff I did for an electric loco (Piko Taurus). I couldn't match the gold Pullman crests on my restaurant and baggage cars though. I resorted to photographing the original and printing onto adhesive paper labels. Not as good as I was hoping for, but better than nothing. I also have a few Golden Mountain coaches and some brown and cream Fleche D'or ones.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Waterside decals applied as individual letters. Check out my thread which covers much of my exploits including some printed vinyl stuff I did for an electric loco (Piko Taurus). I couldn't match the gold Pullman crests on my restaurant and baggage cars though. I resorted to photographing the original and printing onto adhesive paper labels. Not as good as I was hoping for, but better than nothing. I also have a few Golden Mountain coaches and some brown and cream Fleche D'or ones.

You sure have a decent consist going by your thread in the link. I'll probably just have two but will need at least another car to go with them. Perhaps a diner for a short excursion lunch train will do for me. The long LGB coaches are seriously expensive. Yeah, the shiny gold crests would be a problem reproducing.
Were the prototype Pullman's ever painted like the Orient Express version anytime or are they more of a 'feasible' make up? They do look good. The blue with gold crests are a winner combination aesthetically. :)

Brixham

27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
The roof came off easily..without use of any metal tool.
I was able to prise both ends up, enough to drop a wooden bbq skewer to hold the gap open. Then I used a 4mm wide, 200mm long tiewrap to insert between the coach sides and roof, which released the remaining clips. There are 3 small screws retaining the inner roof, and unplug the lighting connectors.
Success.
A previous owner had already glued some figures in, but they are O gauge..so far too small. They have all disembarked, and may be ready to board the ebay express for the next leg in their journey.

I could really do with a nice Hercule Poirot figure to be sat at a table enjoying a sumptious meal. With Captain Hastings nodding wisely, and Miss Lemon absolutely plastered.

Malcolm

Reactions: 1 user

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
The roof came off easily..without use of any metal tool.
I was able to prise both ends up, enough to drop a wooden bbq skewer to hold the gap open. Then I used a 4mm wide, 200mm long tiewrap to insert between the coach sides and roof, which released the remaining clips. There are 3 small screws retaining the inner roof, and unplug the lighting connectors.
Success.
A previous owner had already glued some figures in, but they are O gauge..so far too small. They have all disembarked, and may be ready to board the ebay express for the next leg in their journey.

I could really do with a nice Hercule Poirot figure to be sat at a table enjoying a sumptious meal. With Captain Hastings nodding wisely, and Miss Lemon absolutely plastered.

Malcolm
Would you like me to have a look in my box of figures Malcolm?

Brixham

27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Zee leetle grey cells...say 'oui'. If Hercule is available. He'll have seat A1.

Malcolm

Reactions: 1 user

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
1/32 scale figures must look odd. :confused: They would barely see over the window sill. :giggle:

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
You sure have a decent consist going by your thread in the link. I'll probably just have two but will need at least another car to go with them. Perhaps a diner for a short excursion lunch train will do for me. The long LGB coaches are seriously expensive. Yeah, the shiny gold crests would be a problem reproducing.
Were the prototype Pullman's ever painted like the Orient Express version anytime or are they more of a 'feasible' make up? They do look good. The blue with gold crests are a winner combination aesthetically. :)
To the best of my knowledge Andrew the only blue/cream liveries they appeared in were for the Alpine Classis and Golden Mountain expresses. As you say the OE jobs are the most pleasing to my mind. I have a liking for all things related to that train and a fair collection of books and associated memorabilia. I couldn't afford the gauge one version available so LGB was second best. I had a complete 14 coach train in N gauge many years ago and still have an HO boxed Lima set from the 1980s. Only actually travelled on it once but who knows if the Lottery comes up? Trouble is I won't ever fly again so will have to go by rail both ways. Gets rather expensive that way. Still got my old ticket - has pride of place next to my Eurostar London to Paris the first week the Channel Tunnel opened.

penylanpip

Registered
1 Apr 2010
Barry, UK
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Pleased you solved the problem, Malcolm, as my own method of removing the roof from one of these probably would not have appealed to you....

My layout around the attic room in my previous house incorporated a rather precarious run across the top of the staircase. I put three of the small LGB bridges there for effect only. On the fateful day, I attempted to carry something rather bulky on my own down the narrower-than-usual staircase (stupid). My train of Orient Express saloons was parked on said bridges (stupider). My elbow caught the middle bridge, bringing it down & two expensive coaches with it...

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

bust1_Small_.JPG

The only damage - to one coach only - was this broken corridor suspension arm!
This was back in the days of real LGB; I wrote to them with the story, enclosing these photos and received back a replacement part free of charge.

The gouges in the plasterwork and woodwork down the stairwell made by these coaches as they fell were still there when we moved.

But I got the roof off...

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Oh dear. That's not where they are supposed to go... :eek::oops:

Mike, wonderful stuff. I've never been on an extended train journey. It's something I would like to do sometime even if only once considering the expense.
I think I may have a plan once I get a second green/cream coach together. I was wondering if the #30523 RhB dining car below was ever painted green or green/cream?
a6bae1704ec2df059bcee4717e2aab84.gif

I've been reading about RhB dining cars here: RhB - Technical facts - dining cars and it seems like the one above could be a candidate. It says the RhB bought three at auction in 1949.
I'm wondering if they were green or green/cream in the early days with those same windows when the RhB first had them . There was modernization along the way and window changes on some of the 3 diners they bought but I'm a bit confused now. :think: I'm wondering if you know a little more about them.

Brixham

27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Penylanpip...that's one way ( not recommended ) to remove the rooves.....

And yes, the 1/32 figures barely looked over the windowsills.
Some could pass for a child...but suit and tie for the boys?...I think not. The girls would seem to have a lot on top too.

Malcolm

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Penylanpip...that's one way ( not recommended ) to remove the rooves.....

And yes, the 1/32 figures barely looked over the windowsills.
Some could pass for a child...but suit and tie for the boys?...I think not. The girls would seem to have a lot on top too.

Malcolm

Big hats do you mean? :giggle:

penylanpip

Registered
1 Apr 2010
Barry, UK
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Taken me ages to locate this photo, which is why it wasn't included in the saga above...

For those who have not chosen to remove the roof of these saloons, by whatever means, I was intrigued to find that the toilet compartment comes complete with washbasin, toilet bowl - and lifting lid!

Pullman loo.JPG

Brixham

27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Toilet........There's no hand sanitiser!

Now we wait for Davids puns....

Flushed with success ( that's an easy one... )

Malcolm

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Colour of the pan is very 1970's! :rofl: