LGB 26842 Saxon Meyer

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I have the early LGB version fitted with a Massoth XLS. It is my most favoured loco both for its running qualities and sound, a Massoth XLS, but I must say that I like the sound of the Zimo.
How many sound options are there when used with LGB MTS 3?

meiningen8

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 215946 View attachment 215948 View attachment 215949 Most recent purchase, thought I would do a quick review. Visited Glendale last Friday and scoped this sitting on display, the last one available of the 399 that were made.Comes presented in a nice wooden box complete with numbered certificate and a beer mat, not sure why a beer mat comes with it .
The loco visually is up to LGB's usual standards moulded in the green livery of the Zittau narrow gauge railway with brick red frames and numbered 145.
Out of the box the loco runs like a Swiss watch and the smoke unit produces copious amounts of smoke.The only downside to this version in my opinion is the MFX sound which has all the usual sounds,whistle,bell etc but the actual chuffs/cylinder beats sound rather electronic and are not as convincing as the MFX Spreewald or the excellent Zillertal U class.
At the end of the day this loco looks fantastic running around my track but if you only want a new Saxon IVK to play with then the standard black one soon to be released is better value I think.View attachment 215946 View attachment 215948 View attachment 215949 View attachment 215948

meiningen8

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The current issue of Gartenbahn 6/2016 carries a critique of 28642 in which it states that the mfx sound makes the loco sound more like a tractor than a steam loco. The article then goes on to say that Technical staff from both Marklin and massoth are working to resolve the problem.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
The current issue of Gartenbahn 6/2016 carries a critique of 28642 in which it states that the mfx sound makes the loco sound more like a tractor than a steam loco. The article then goes on to say that Technical staff from both Marklin and massoth are working to resolve the problem.

Very interesting to hear that Massoth are involved with trying to fix the problem.... I thought they no longer had any real connection with M/LGB and hadn't had anything to do with the MFX decoder design and development....?

Jon.

meiningen8

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Very interesting to hear that Massoth are involved with trying to fix the problem.... I thought they no longer had any real connection with M/LGB and hadn't had anything to do with the MFX decoder design and development....?

Jon.
A copy of the Gartenbahn article has been sent to Chalk garden Rail. Hopefully Peter may be able to obtain a clearer picture of the situation

beachdonkey

Model railways, classic cars, music
14 Sep 2015
bedford
Best answers
Country flag

Jon.
Interesting indeed, does this mean the will be a recall similar to what car manufacturers do?

Frank Gallagher

Well matured physically if not mentally
1 Jun 2016
Chatsworth
Best answers
Looks like Marklin may have turned to Massoth for help

Recall as there are no safety issues i suspect not although I returned a damaged chip to Massoth and they replaced no questions Excellent Customer Service IMHO

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Will be interesting to see what "fix" they come up with.... I was thinking about buying myself one of these, but decided I've probably got enough IVk models (RuKB black, Saxon lined dark green, Saxon lighter green...) so I went for a Live Steam Frank S instead..... :rofl:

Jon.

Trainman58

When I grow up I want to be Compo- minus the feret
23 Nov 2013
Auckland,NZ
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
I had held off buying one because of the sound issues. I begrudged spending that much on it and then having to shell out further for a new sound unit. I have now purchased one. Will look good with the IIk I have just got and the dark green #132. I am looking forward to next years Saxon coach issue as well.

Trainman58

23 Nov 2013
Auckland,NZ
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
I have just recieved the loco. What a splendid piece of work. I will still change the sound unit, thinking of installing it in my sawmill. Very nice piece of work there Mr. Marklin. Now to get the new coaches due out next year. It will be interesting to see how the double coach is coupled. I have looked at drawings of the coach with interest.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Opted for the soon to be 26843 over the soeg. I love the soeg scheme, but wanted a second black, plus, i prefer three lamps.

Hope this new version has a nice sound and four exhausts. My older version, 24642? I think, marklin in black, has a nice sound, even if two exhaust.

Odd locos, but i really like them and the saxon pulley system.
All started with getting one brown shorty saxon vi class coach, now ive got the historics , a shorty and long coach in green, and the reefers.....slippery slope.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
operator difficulties......ooops

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Being a compound you need two exhausts.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
This has puzzled me for a while. The high pressure cylinders of a compound exhaust into the low pressure ones, sometimes via an inter stage receiver. Only the low pressure cylinders exhaust to atmosphere so I guess a loco with two low pressure cylinders may sound similar to a two cylinder simple with low back pressure. Some Malletts (arguably not "true" ones) such as the Big Boys are four cylinder simples so could have four exhausts unless they happen to synchronise.

Reactions: 1 user

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
That is as I understand it Neil.Also, you never get a barking exhaust from these - presumably the lower pressure exhaust if more muffled.

palmerston

trains
24 Oct 2009
Netherlands, near Aachen ;-)
Best answers
Country flag
For starting all 4 cilinders get high pressure steam. Once on speed switch to compound setting.
Don't know if on normal setting all the steam is used to draw the fire. Maybe its to much. Saw a pic of a kitsen-meyer with a seperate rear exhaust. (Fairley and Kitson-Meyers dont have a compound system)

Last edited:

Trainman58

23 Nov 2013
Auckland,NZ
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
For starting all 4 cilinders get high pressure steam. Once on speed switch to compound setting.
Don't know if on normal setting all the steam is used to draw the fire. Maybe its to much. Saw a pic of a kitsen-meyer with a seperate rear exhaust. (Fairley and Kitson-Meyers dont have a compound system)
All the video footage I have show them starting off and they are almost silent in taking off. There is no hard beat as in more conventional locos. Resultant of the low pressure cylinders. Need to try to replicate in some way. Normally I go for Loksound decoders but have gone with Massoth this time to try to work on the decoder. Will buy a programmer and see what I can do.

palmerston

trains
24 Oct 2009
Netherlands, near Aachen ;-)
Best answers
Country flag

There is no visable difference in size between front and back cilinders. ON the LGB and Regner´s livesteam model the backcilinders protude outside the loco´s body. On the real loco they are within the width of the water tanks. So, LGB and Regner fooled us. No compound! The back set of wheels arent even in a truck, they are part of the frame and placed inside to accomodate space for the firebox. Only if both drivetrains are in sync one can hear four beats. This isnt likely.

Check accucraft.de for a prototypical and (livesteam) model.

Last edited:

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
There is no visable difference in size between front and back cilinders.

Sorry, Palmerston but there certainly is - on LGB and the original.

ON the LGB and Regner´s livesteam model the backcilinders protude outside the loco´s body.

The original being 750mm gauge, they wouldn't fit completely under the tanks - rubber ruler

On the real loco they are within the width of the water tanks.

So, LGB and Regner fooled us. No compound!

?

The back set of wheels arent even in a truck, they are part of the frame and placed inside to accomodate space for the firebox.

I think you are confusing the Mayer with a Mallet - the rear truck is a truck and can swivel on the Mayer.

Only if both drivetrains are in sync one can hear four beats. This isnt likely.

Check accucraft.de for a prototypical and (livesteam) model.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
For full details of Meyer IVK locos have a read of "Meyer Articulated Locomotives" by Binns & Koch, published by Trackside Publications. It has full details including a GA drawing showing steam pipes. The steam route is first into the high pressure cylinders at the rear, then through a flexible pipe to the front low pressure cylinders & then exhausting to the chimney.
In the book there is even a picture of a loco on its side after an accident.