LGB 21480 Saxon V11K 2-10-2 volume control

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I've discovered the location of the volume control on this loco, it's not obvious to me and I can't find any reference to it in the supplied instructions.
I found it by watching this video,between 4.43 and 4.53.

The control is accessed by removing the top of the third dome, of four, counting back from the chimney. Easing the, what I presume to be the safety valves, upwards helps to remove the top.

On my loco I've decided to set the sound volume CV to max and use the potentiometer to set the sound to an appropriate level
Personally I prefer to adjust the sound using a potentiometer like this when visiting a group running session or garden visit. I think it's quicker and easier, also it removes any risk of me messing up any other CVs in equipment that may be in use at the time

MaybachMD

Registered
18 May 2018
Bromley, Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Neil

Thanks, very helpful. I have only just noticed your post. I tried turning the volume down with the CV but it is still very loud. Like you I couldn’t find the potentiometer. Now I know what to do to avoid complaints.
Hope you are as pleased with yours as I am with mine.

Best wishes.

Simon

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Simon, you're welcome, It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who couldn't find it. I understand that the large smoke unit means that the volume control can't fit in the smokebox as commonly done. However I feel LGB could have documented its location in the paperwork, I can't even see it on the exploded parts diagram.
Like you I'm very pleased with my model. Having said that at some time in the future I'll blank off the cylinder steam tubes and swap the red firebox led for a yellow one. Very minor changes that may be simply done and, if needs be, reversed.

MaybachMD

Registered
18 May 2018
Bromley, Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Neil
interesting changes. I will do a bit to mine when I feel brave. I want to renumber it. I also don’t like the metal wheel rims so they will be painted red. If I am really brave it will get a bit of light weathering to tone it down.. For the moment I am enjoying it straight out of the box. Interesting to compare with the VIK which I used to think was massive…

Simon