LGB 21192 Mogul Sound

jmarvolous

Registered
17 Jan 2024
Asheville, NC
Best answers
Country flag
so i recently purchased an lgb 21192 mogul. so it was new according to seller which i believe it was. when i took it out and ran it for the first time, sound works great and sounds good and is loud. i flipped the tender to turn the volume down but there is no switch for the sound or volume control knob. just two empty holes? is that normal? all my other sound moguls have a switch and volume knob.

John Fedak

Registered
2 Dec 2019
Ottawa Ontario
Best answers
Country flag
One of my LGB Moguls have the sound module on the MTS decoder board in the locomotive. Volume and switch are on the boiler in the cab.

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
so i recently purchased an lgb 21192 mogul. so it was new according to seller which i believe it was. when i took it out and ran it for the first time, sound works great and sounds good and is loud. i flipped the tender to turn the volume down but there is no switch for the sound or volume control knob. just two empty holes? is that normal? all my other sound moguls have a switch and volume knob.
You Mogul has the newer MTS/DCC Onboard Sound Decoder installed in the locomotive......there's no sound board in the tender. I don't have the LGB 21192 User Guide but I've attached the LGB 29192 that has the same Onboard sound decoder installed that has the various sounds that can be activated on a DCC/MTS powered layout, or you can activate the whistle and bell using track magnets on a DC analog powered layout. You'll note the sound volume control knob is on the back of the Mogul. The original LGB company started using these Onboard decoders starting with the LGB 28192 Pennsylvania Mogul in 1999.

Attachments

• 29192.pdf
    207.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

John Fedak

Registered
2 Dec 2019
Ottawa Ontario
Best answers
Country flag
You Mogul has the newer MTS/DCC Onboard Sound Decoder installed in the locomotive......there's no sound board in the tender. I don't have the LGB 21192 User Guide but I've attached the LGB 29192 that has the same Onboard sound decoder installed that has the various sounds that can be activated on a DCC/MTS powered layout, or you can activate the whistle and bell using track magnets on a DC analog powered layout. You'll note the sound volume control knob is on the back of the Mogul. The original LGB company started using these Onboard decoders starting with the LGB 28192 Pennsylvania Mogul in 1999.
Reading in the manual "Hint: To obtain standing sounds with analog operation while the throttle is turned off, the 65011 Sound Unit Power Storage must be installed."

Is there a board diagram available on where to plug the 65011 into?

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Reading in the manual "Hint: To obtain standing sounds with analog operation while the throttle is turned off, the 65011 Sound Unit Power Storage must be installed."

Is there a board diagram available on where to plug the 65011 into?
I'm not aware of one but you can contact Massoth Germany for that guidance since they produced the Onboard Decoder for the LGB locomotives for the original LGB company: hotline@massoth.de

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
From what I have learned the sound unit in the LGB 2-6-0 engine cab is a SUSI board, not DCC. The red connector on the DCC (top) board is the SUSI bus therefore this board can only be run from a susi bus, not directly from a DCC system directly.