LGB 2080 Valve Gear Rivets

gn13565

Registered
9 Aug 2011
Best answers
Country flag
HI,

I'm upgrading a couple of old 2080 Harz 2-6-2 locos. On one of them I'm having to replace the valve gear support/hanger that fits under the gerabox and up either side to support the motion. I've sourced a replacement but am stumped, as it is both screwed and riveted to the hanger. Obviously I can deal with the screw, but can anybody identify what I can replace them with and recommend a source for the replacement rivets that I'll have to drill out?

Mny thanks

GreIMG_0827.jpgg

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Can't help on a replacement rivet, but if you can't find anything else then could you just use a suitable nut and bolt with the excess bolt thread snipped off at the back....?

Don't know if that would definitely work, there may be clearance problems.

Jon.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
I had a similar problem years ago when part of the valve gear broke on my O&K LGB loco.

When the part I needed arrived, it came ready riveted to the adjoining part, all I needed to do was replace screws.

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
HI,

I'm upgrading a couple of old 2080 Harz 2-6-2 locos. On one of them I'm having to replace the valve gear support/hanger that fits under the gerabox and up either side to support the motion. I've sourced a replacement but am stumped, as it is both screwed and riveted to the hanger. Obviously I can deal with the screw, but can anybody identify what I can replace them with and recommend a source for the replacement rivets that I'll have to drill out?

Mny thanks

GreView attachment 288708g
Got mine from Trainli

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Can't help on a replacement rivet, but if you can't find anything else then could you just use a suitable nut and bolt with the excess bolt thread snipped off at the back....?

Don't know if that would definitely work, there may be clearance problems.

Jon.
Have just had a look at mine, clearance is not an issue at this location so a nut and bolt small BA would be fine, but some locktite would be needed on the thread to stop the nut working off the bolt. Very modest amount inside the nut so as not to gum up all the works.

gn13565

Registered
9 Aug 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Have just had a look at mine, clearance is not an issue at this location so a nut and bolt small BA would be fine, but some locktite would be needed on the thread to stop the nut working off the bolt. Very modest amount inside the nut so as not to gum up all the works.
THanks Jon,
Looks like that is the way I'll go.
Greg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
If the OP has bought a new part:
It will be an 'assembly' and may contain the whole section, including screws, bolts, etc.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised?

PhilP

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
If the OP has bought a new part:
It will be an 'assembly' and may contain the whole section, including screws, bolts, etc.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised?

PhilP
That was my experience with another LGB valve gear. Even better, was the fact I couldn't find the invoice. There was a card, written in 7 languages (English, of course, was last).... got half way through the list and cottoned on that it was one of my favourite words (in any language)..... Free !

gn13565

Registered
9 Aug 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Hi

The spare arrived bare, just the plastic hanger with no fittings. I've ordered some nuts etc.

Many thanks

Greg

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I found valve gear could not use a nut and bolt as there is not much room and the nut or bolt would hit other moving parts and cause lock ups. I do 'tighten' the rivits using a small pair of what Is called water pump pliers.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I found valve gear could not use a nut and bolt as there is not much room and the nut or bolt would hit other moving parts and cause lock ups. I do 'tighten' the rivits using a small pair of what Is called water pump pliers.
It depends where the problem is, in the location shown in post #1 a nut and bolt will work.