dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Having bought this beast many many moons ago 2nd Hand from Beaties (probably before or around 1986) I subseqently sold it on to a friend when I got a Digital one. He swopped it back via me for a Loco from the Ruschbahn Collection and it ended up back with me. After a few derisory sales attempts failed it became destined to be part of my Battery Fleet.

First up a couple of pics to show what I was dealing with, somewhat ancient.
image.jpegimage.jpeg
The strip down involved removal of all the old Sound Kit, including the mechanical bell. Quite ingenious how LGB managed to get the sound in those days. The full strip,down involved pulling the chassis fully apart to reveal the Motor to see what would be needed to supply power to just the motor and removal of all Track Contacts, I had hoped to do a bogie swop with my Chipped one as this is a bit of a problem and could do with Bogie Pickups. Howevervthe Bogies are incompatible so the Bogie Pickups were removed as well. Oh and the gears were all cleaned up and re-lubricatedd wth LGB 51020 lube. Valve gear and Axles had LGB 50019 lube for breakfast.
image.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg
Once all the kit is removed it proved comparitively easy to wire up the Motor for direct supply via the Fosworks Electronic gear. However there are a few traps in the chassis one being a plate that looks like it is connected to what would have appeared to be the direct power from the chassis, not so and this required an aditional bit of soldering.

As ever it was a shoe horn job to get everything fitted, fortunately I did not have to worry aboiot a speaker as one is fitted and is the right value. Happy result. The. batterieswere held in place on the original weight with some pond liner and original screws as seen below. More next post.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    311.4 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    384 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    340.9 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    464.6 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    302.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Some more words and pics of her running.

The original had some detail and switches for the electronics, this detail was remived which left space for the Switch and Charging Socket.
image.jpeg
During the build I mananged to trash the bracketvthat allows the Smokebox Door to open, so the top and bottom lugs and those on the door were drilled out for a new swivel to be fitted.mtgis was just a piece of suitable Copper Mains Wire with some 12 BA Washers to keep it in place.
image.jpeg
Test running out on the line, anyone see what I forgot to fit?
image.jpeg

A couple of Vids of Test Running.
99 6001 Part 1 Testing

99 6001 Part 2 Testing

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    434.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Finally I added extra Coal Rails as can be seen on the pics of the prototype, these were present during my 1981 visit so had to be done. Fortunately the Donor Newquid has them and they are remarkably easy to fit. A bit of real coal loaded and the job is done.
image.jpeg
Couple of pics of the real thingbat Alexisbad.
image.jpeg
Anyone worked outbwhat I forgot to fit?
image.jpeg

Missing bits fitted prior to the Coal Rails being added.image.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting pics of the real Ballerina at Alexisbad, JonD - that's exactly where we got to see her during our trip last year, we were waiting for our railbus connection when 6001 pulled in with a short train and the bicycle wagon......

6001 at Alexisbad.jpeg

Neat job on the RC conversion, BTW!

Jon.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Really nice, yours looks more weathered than the real thing :wait:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Really nice, yours looks more weathered than the real thing :wait:

I think JonD tends to go for the look of the latter years of the GDR, when everything was run-down, drab and grubby..... it's all a lot cleaner now post-reunification! ;)

Jon.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I think JonD tends to go for the look of the latter years of the GDR, when everything was run-down, drab and grubby..... it's all a lot cleaner now post-reunification! ;)

Jon.
The only weathering I have done is below footplate level, the rest is the crud that a venerable LGB Locomotive has accumulated over the years in varying ownerships. The last owner had it in an outside dry shed storage for many years, so lots of dust spiders crawling etc you get the picture!