LGB 12010 switch motor control with direction indicator

Miguelito

Registered
8 Oct 2017
Elk Grove, Ca
Best answers
Greg:

Thanks again for the latest. I saw among your threads the "hold the switch" problem which was addressed by not holding it on for a long length of time. However, since the switch is on-on, does it not hold itself on all the time? Or does the cap, when fully charged, open the circuit to effectively make the switch a momentary on? That was my thought; in which case everything should work quite simply. The LGB transformer is the smallest they make so lowest current I can find. Voltage is adjustable to 15 volts plus as needed. Do I have my thoughts correct?

Mike

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
yes, you are right, the simple circuit would not damage the switch motor, but also never charge the cap if you had a normal SPDT switch left in the direction you wanted.

I was not thinking of both things at the same time. so the simple circuit that is always either charging or discharging will work with a momentary switch, but what you want is to leave the switch in one place to indicate direction.

Let me see if I can find a simple circuit for the "cutoff" type of capacitor discharge system... it will be more complex.

I think the issue is that with the simple circuit and momentary switches, it makes sense to have one circuit per switch.

The "cutoff" type of circuit may be more expensive and not reasonable to have one per switch.

I'm pretty sure you cannot share the system among multiple switches if you use the simple "on on" toggle, but it might be possible with diodes. Something worthy of more thought for sure.

Greg

Miguelito

Registered
8 Oct 2017
Elk Grove, Ca
Best answers
Greg:

Thanks yet again. Indoor layout so circuit protection not an issue. Started by using an LGB 5075 for control (both switches and electric uncouplers) but quickly found that didn't work. Lost my place. Started looking for DPDT momentary, no center off, toggle that remained in the last thrown position (click on then drop to last). Direct replacement for 5075. Haven't found one but still looking. Then tried this forum for a solution. I can build the small circuits and keep them protected. The simpler (and cheaper) the better since I need about 20 (space also becomes a factor). However, I like switching so the last thrown indication is truly a requirement - especially with 2 3-way switches in the plan. All help appreciated.

Mike

tgood

Registered
12 Mar 2018
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Does it matter?
On my line I press the dpdt center off in the direction i want the point(switch) to be set. If it was already set that way nothing changes, if it was set the "wrong" way it changes.
Add two LEDs to the switch kinda like the old American Flyer turnout switches. Get a momentary DTDP switch with six leads and your practically there. If size isn't a factor look for AF throw switches on eBay. They return to the neutral position. Use any color LED you wish.

tgood

Registered
12 Mar 2018
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Do you mean a momentary as in spring loaded toggle with return to center?
Yes: I use them to control LGB turnouts. I install them in the top of a scale switch tower that has a hinged roof. You open the roof and there are the switches to switch the switches:D

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Started looking for DPDT momentary, no center off, toggle that remained in the last thrown position (click on then drop to last). Direct replacement for 5075. Haven't found one but still looking.

As I read this, Miguelito wants a switch which is either 'up' or 'down', but given an extra push at the end of travel make the connection for that toggle direction, but drops the (electrical) connection, when released. - The toggle staying over, to indicate how the switch is set.

I don't know of a switch that does this mechanically, but can envisage a bit of electronics which could emulate it for a standard switch..

Here is a ready-made solution:

You can use the Mimic switches to drive the PC 200 quad point controller.. Although this is 'DCC' the switches are a 'manual-override'. - The PC 200 has a CDU facility as well..

PhilP.

sweeperman

Registered
5 Feb 2020
ohio
Best answers
Add two LEDs to the switch kinda like the old American Flyer turnout switches. Get a momentary DTDP switch with six leads and your practically there. If size isn't a factor look for AF throw switches on eBay. They return to the neutral position. Use any color LED you wish.
do you have a wiring diagram for showing how to wire the LED's when using a momentary push button for LGB switch using AC and 2 diodes? Thanks

Railway42

LGB, Radio Control Model Boat, Electronics
28 Feb 2013
Cheddar
Best answers
Country flag
I have the switches on Ebay now 323965078341 LGB control box switches
These are centre off spring loaded for EPL motor control

The LGB point switch is a DC motor with a peg to stop rotation use a 18V AC supply with a in4001/7 diode the motor will snap each way. all my friends us this.
This is the LGB EPL design way.

sweeperman

Registered
5 Feb 2020
ohio
Best answers

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
not possible, the momentary switch returning to center does not conduct, therefore could not power a LED in the "returned" position.

Could be done with some electronics, or a momentary switch that moves to a position and has momentary contacts.

Here's a picture of the referenced American Flyer switch controller
s-l1600.jpg

But from this schematic, I don't see the how the light could be lit but not still sending power to the switch motor:
022switchwiringdiagram.png

Last edited:

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
HELP! The newest documentation with the 12010 (made wherever) now states "may only be operated with 14 - 20 volts DC". Okie Dokie. That said, I'm trying to find a way to control the motor and, after doing so, have an indicator remain showing which way the switch points are pointing after the last throw. A DPDT center off momentary returns to center so I don't know the last thrown position. It does not seem that a DPDT momentary that remains in the last thrown position (up or down) is available? Anyone know the whereabouts of some? So, does anyone have some type of switch, circuit, etc. that operates momentarily then leaves the control bat/knob/lever/switch/light etc. in a position so I know which way the points are going from when the last time the switch was thrown? If this has been answered I apologize - I can't assemble the proper keywords to bring up the answer I'm seeking.

I use this method on an indoor layout simply put a momentary switch in series with a DPDT switch that sets the direction then press the monetary to operate points, DPDT remains in last position till used again to set points.

Picture of my HO point contol just use the switch parts and ignore the rest.

Simple but effective, I also use a microswitch activated by the throw bar to light LEDs that run of a 12V power supply. How that would translate to outside could be tricky.
2020 19 Feb Points Wiring Diagram _1_.jpg