Leeds Hill Railroad

BakerJohn

Baker, Modeler, Flour Ambassador
3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
leedshillrailroad.weebly.com
Best answers
How are you fixing the track? Is it on the papers only and supported with the ballast?
Yes, Paul. It is screwed down on either side of the ramp into the shed, but that's it. Once I get more ballast it should hold the track well enough for now. I may drive in some long spikes at some point, but I want to make sure everything is where it should be first.

Thanks, Jack! It's a lot of fun! Today Ill be out shopping for shade plants.

Reactions: 1 user

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
Yesturday I had intended to come home and rest; just lay in bed and try to relax before this week kicks my ass (sidebar: It's already done so not 24 hours later). Of course, that didn't happen. I ended up out in my garden attempting to have a first run with my Forney. It didn't go perfectly. The track isn't clean enough for proper connectivity, but I did get a feel for how the loco will run once it's re-wired for battery power. I also took a bunch of photos of my rolling stock on the rails.

PS: I have almost laid all the track as of this past Saturday. It's all out there, but I need a bit more ballast and the entire back side needs a bridge or some other kind of supports built. Any suggestions? (See last two photos.) I also got almost all my plants in the ground around the tracks. I bought the cala lily (photo 2) as a mothers' day gift for my mom. It's her favorite flower & was my Mom & step-dad's wedding flower.

5-7 (7).JPG 5-7 (5)-condensed.JPG 5-7 (4)-condensed.JPG 5-7 (8).JPG 5-7 (10).JPG

Reactions: 2 users

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
Wow.really coming together nicely. Looking great. Keep it up great pictures.

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
Thanks, Jack!

Since my last post I've cleaned all the rail heads that were giving me trouble before. In addition, the Split Jaw Bridge clamps I ordered came in today. So, in the run, today, was my first successful (short) run on the LHRR.

Attached are some photos of the pull-out section that the Split Jaws are on. You can see them on either side of the plywood.
5-12 (1).jpg
Yes, there is about a 3mm gap in the rails, but the trains have not had an issue at any speed thus far. It's straight for long enough on either side that I don't believe I will have a problem.
5-12 (11).jpg

What do you think of my 'lil testing budy?
5-12 (8).jpg

I like this photo... I thought you all my like it too. That first plant is Thyme. I don't use much of it, but it makes a nice addition to the railroad.
5-12 (13).jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice I have some of that too. Also I have rosemary in my layout. Both useful and looks pretty good in the layout. Nice work. I have a used alot of the split jaw clamps they are awesome. I like the switcher.IMG_20180513_080855958.jpg IMG_20180513_080839514.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
You will be surprised how fast the plants grow . I need to trim the plannts again already. But it's a fun part of the hobby too.

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
You will be surprised how fast the plants grow . I need to trim the plannts again already. But it's a fun part of the hobby too.
Very much so! I come from a farming family, so the plant care is something I very much enjoy.

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers

I thought you all might like to see a moment of my Forney's first complete run around the LHRR - Piscine Loop. The rear track still isn't quite finished, but I can do that tomorrow...

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
A few more rescent photos of the LHRR. Today I finally got outside again and did some rock work before the rain began. (Some of you probably saw this photo on the other thread I posted it...

The only rock that was there before today was the large right-most one. I added all the other rocks based on track clearances. The left channel is for the second track loop. These rocks also serve as a path for me to get to the back of the shed since the other side will have at least one other track (if not two more).
camerafv5_0933.JPG

In addition, I worked on the grade to my back loop. It still needs work, though.
camerafv5_0939.JPG

Finally, my plants are getting bigger! This curve looks fantastic now! (And It's only going to get better. For one: I am training the rose bush to grow over the track and form a natural tunnel.)
camerafv5_0931.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Nice pics. Interesting use of the cross-over to avoid a reverse loop. Can't remember seeing that done before. (I assume the two lines off the wye will form a loop.)

Phil S.

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
Nice pics. Interesting use of the cross-over to avoid a reverse loop. Can't remember seeing that done before. (I assume the two lines off the wye will form a loop.)

Phil S.
Phil, look at post #1 to see my plan. Im mainly using battery power, but the inside tracks of the wye will be insulated so as to avoid a short.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I stand corrected. I did not realize you intended a future double track there.

Phil S.

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
Lots more work finally done on the LHRR!
More track laid (after I fixed the broken track I ordered), insulators added to the rails, rockscape expanded, and a first run of my new loco! I have to buy more ballast, then I can finish this stretch of track.
7-4 (2).JPG

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
Wow!.....is that Farmington ME???;) Very nice track work being built.....it will be interesting to see how it holds up to your NE winters. Your Forney looks great and runs very smoothly.....is it battery equipped or track powered?

tom in va beach.

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
Wow!.....is that Farmington ME???;) Very nice track work being built.....it will be interesting to see how it holds up to your NE winters. Your Forney looks great and runs very smoothly.....is it battery equipped or track powered?

tom in va beach.

Tom, thank you very much! I am started to worry about how the railroad will fare in the winter, but we shall see what happens. My forney was on track power in that video. It is now in the shop awaiting a part so it can run on battery.
The tram engine is DC power eventually it will also be converted to battery, probably this winter

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
A short run on the LHRR today. It was primarily a test run for my track cleaning car...
Track Cleaning Car.JPG
I took one of the Bachmann "Troublesome Trucks", cut off the brake lines, and screwed an LGB cleaning unit to the bottom. I may need to modify it slightly, it may be a bit too low. But, aside from two derails, it worked! Also, the trucks no longer have faces - they're kinda creepy!
Cleaning Train.JPG
I plan to decal the two cars and sideplates in Toby with "LHRR" and other assorted details at some point.

I also fit some custom RR signs to a section of track that is not powered...
NO POWER.JPG

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
UPDATE:
I am not entirely sure what is happening to the Leeds Hill Railroad from here. As I have mentioned briefly before, I am moving out of the family home to my own apartment. The track may stay, but it may not. I'd hate to leave all my trains behind, as I could easily run them in the apartment sometimes. Truth be told, I think I'll wait to decide until I can measure the living room and see how much track I could fit easily.
It's unfortunate that I've put so much time and money into the railroad and now I'm leaving, but I couldn't let it stop me from getting out on my own. I've wanted this since I graduated college.
So! Updates are forthcoming! Tomorrow a small run is scheduled at 1100h with guest locos! My Forney is sadly still not operational, but Toby will be running the track cleaning train, and I hope that both a Stainz loco and hand car are visiting the railroad. All stock will be on the lines. Stay tuned for photos!

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
Whelp. That's that. Today I disassembled the LHRR... Whats next? I have no idea...

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Whelp. That's that. Today I disassembled the LHRR... Whats next? I have no idea...
Always sad to lift a line,mbut look forward to a new one at some stage. You may not always be in that apartment!