Leeds Hill Railroad

BakerJohn

Baker, Modeler, Flour Ambassador
3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
leedshillrailroad.weebly.com
Best answers
Construction has finally begun on the Leeds Hill Railroad in Western Massachusetts! Today I cleared away the brush, trash, etc. from behind the shed and test laid track (photos below). I only laid one loop, as that is all the track I have now. But, I am watching some second-hand track online and hoping to purchase enough to complete the second loop in my plan as well as the entire wye. Plan_LHRR-Double Loop.png

There's a lot of work to do... but this gave me a good idea of what I have to do before I can lay track and start running my locos.
These pavers will need to be leveled, then the track will transition to the large gravel smoothly. The track will be ballasted everywhere but the raised section.
camerafv5_0666.JPG
The 4' pull-away section is over this platform to the shed. This raised track section will be the only part that is not ballasted.
camerafv5_0664.JPG

The grass area that the track is on will be re-landscaped. I'm going to pull out the grass, add in more dirt, lay the ballast and track, then plant some things. Note that the door doesn't reach the track, so there is no risk of the train getting knocked off by the door opening.
camerafv5_0667.JPG
There is a decent slope down here from foreground to background. I will need to fix that. The new garden section will come out almost 3' from the shed.
camerafv5_0668.JPG
This photo is kind of odd in that it looks like the track is sitting in a trench about 16" wide; but it is not. This whole thing is lower than the rest of the loop though (you can see how steep the curve in the background is). I will be adding dirt, then large stone, then ballast. It should add between 4 and 6" to the height.
camerafv5_0669.JPG

That's all for now! Updates as they happen...

Reactions: 3 users

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like a good start. BUT are you using track power. If so, you have built in a short circuit as you enter the yard. if you follow through the upper or lower rails you will see that they cross over through the junction and connect to the other side. OK if your steam or battery but a no go for track power. There are ways around this if necessary.

Reactions: 1 user

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Nice start. Before you get too far I would reconsider the track with limited access by the side and back of the pool shed photo1 unless you have no choice. Apart from the problem of access you can't see your trains running for some distance which kind of defeats the purpose. But that may be the only land you have planning permission for in which case if you want unattended running that loop may be your only choice. Or you could consider a to and fro shuttle instead as mentioned in another current layout thread.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
<nit-picking>
I'm just confused by the door to the shed! :confused:

Must be dummy hinges, and frame?? :think::think:

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
I am running battery power, so no need to worry about the wiring, thankfully! That would be a huge problem because my full plan has many reverse loops.

Unfortunately this is the only space I have permissions, as you suggested. I'm also running a limited budget. I intend on expanding the railroad so that this will only be a small portion of it and the hidden loop won't seem like such a problem. I'll post a full photo later of my plan.

Phil, what do you mean? lol

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag

Well, first picture (with the door in) the hinges appear on the left..
Second picture, the door is obviously hinged on the right.. :confused:

Must be a little unhinged? - Just like me! ;):giggle::giggle:

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers

Well, first picture (with the door in) the hinges appear on the left..
Second picture, the door is obviously hinged on the right.. :confused:

Must be a little unhinged? - Just like me! ;):giggle::giggle:
Ahhhh! Lol Its double doors!

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Come on Phil - keep up. :rofl:

Reactions: 1 users

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Pool Shed ? is that Pool table or pool as in swimming but very small ? or something else just curious :)

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
Pool Shed ? is that Pool table or pool as in swimming but very small ? or something else just curious :)
It's a storage shed. We just call it our pool shed - as in swimming pool - because we already have a garden shed. And there is some pool stuff in it.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Picture #1:
If you need to do any serious digging... You could ask the neighbour if you can borrow his spade!
The big rusty one.. Hovering menacingly.. ;):eek::giggle::giggle::giggle:

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
Picture #1:
If you need to do any serious digging... You could ask the neighbour if you can borrow his spade!
The big rusty one.. Hovering menacingly.. ;):eek::giggle::giggle::giggle:

Hahaha That's actually our backhoe, Phil! And I fully intend to use it to aquire dirt from other areas of the yard...

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
Before the ran started today I got to go out and expand the garden and lay some track! camerafv5_0695.JPG
Garden.JPG camerafv5_0702.JPG
If that one flower I moved grows well there, I'll transplant a bunch more along the front between the track and the garden fence (starting just before the points).
And yes, some leveling will be required. I plan to do that when I lay the ballast.

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
Today I got outside and finished the garden expansion, laid the track on the front of the shed (to completion), built the pull-away section, and transplanted those flowers I talked about. My SR&RL Combine Coach tested the track for me, with a report returned: All smooth!
camerafv5_0737.JPG camerafv5_0742.JPG camerafv5_0757.JPG camerafv5_0750.JPG

Okay, so I didn't take any photos after I moved the flowers. I'll take a photo of them tomorrow...

Reactions: 4 users

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Nice. I think I would be tempted to leave the removable section in front of the shed doors in place as it is at ground level. It doesn't interfere with the doors. You could put a thin piece of concrete or stone slab or wood either side at the same height as the rail top to avoid you catching the track with your toe when you walk over it. Most code 332 track will quite happily survive being walked on. There is a minor "trip hazard" risk but less hassle when you want to play trains. You could even make it into a level crossing feature with railroad signs and bells ringing! :)

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
Nice. I think I would be tempted to leave the removable section in front of the shed doors in place as it is at ground level. It doesn't interfere with the doors. You could put a thin piece of concrete or stone slab or wood either side at the same height as the rail top to avoid you catching the track with your toe when you walk over it. Most code 332 track will quite happily survive being walked on. There is a minor "trip hazard" risk but less hassle when you want to play trains. You could even make it into a level crossing feature with railroad signs and bells ringing! :)
I personally would love to do that. However, there are 10 other people who live here who say no. Majority (and seniority) rules here, unfortunately.
Additionally, it's not quite ground level. The ramp itself is actually at about 10 degree angle left to right. So, the left side of the track section is ground level, but the right side is raised about 3cm. I need to add some feet to the plywood still.

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
I did a little more work on the LHRR today. Mostly it was just moving stone from one place to another haha But! It looks really good, and actually would be a good place for a yard or a few sidings!
There's a lot of leveling required, so, ultimately, I need to buy more stone, but that won't be a problem. Luckily we have this vehicle to help with such work.

You can see the flowers I'd mentioned above in the third photo.
camerafv5_0767.JPG camerafv5_0769.JPG camerafv5_0772.JPG camerafv5_0773.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
How are you fixing the track? Is it on the bricks only and then supported with the ballast?

Last edited:

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
Coming along nicely. Big difference already. Enjoying following your progress.