Latest Developments on the WASP Garden Railway

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways & more caving. Fan of TTTE
1 Jan 2011
Bromsgrove
wychboldandstokepriorrailway.blogspot.co.uk
Best answers
A lot of work is being done on the Wychbold and Stoke Prior Garden Railway in preparation for Thomas and his friends next adventure.

Reactions: 1 user

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
A lot of work is being done on the Wychbold and Stoke Prior Garden Railway in preparation for Thomas and his friends next adventure.

I was watching the bridge number changing ... but finally realized you were counting trucks :p
I see Duffy Scruffey is leading the runaway. Why am I not surprised?

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I was watching the bridge number changing ... but finally realized you were counting trucks :p
Hmm, I'm sure that truck count wasn't there when I watched the video and did a count by eye (and got it correct).

kedwards

1 Jan 2011
Bromsgrove
Best answers
Hmm, I'm sure that truck count wasn't there when I watched the video and did a count by eye (and got it correct).
This is an example of selective attention. I'm sure you've seen this before.

kedwards

1 Jan 2011
Bromsgrove
Best answers
Duffy, the worst of all the troublesome trucks! I must create a custom face based on a well-known member of the forum. I can only imagine the scrapes he'll get into.

Last edited:

ThomasDadDurham

Really Useful Engine
16 Jul 2023
County Durham
Best answers
Country flag
Keith - Im still waiting on my joblot of engines to arrive, been watching your vids to get ideas of their expected size. But with some Thomas rolling stock and eBay purchases arriving ahead of them, I now realise people are using G Scale and Gauge 1 rather too interchangably on there! Pic:
20230721_152658[1].jpg
Doh! Chassis is too low to convert it to something either.

Do any companies models scale with our Thomas rolling stock, or is the Thomas line its own completely unique scale? I had been hoping I could scratchbuild more variety of troublesome trucks, but now Im not sure what to look for if at all now.
Would you or anyone seeing this know: are LGB trucks the same rough size (~100mm wide ~40mm wheels)?

Last edited:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
The problem is that G scale isn't a scale. The actual scale may vary from 1:22.5 to 1:29, 1:25 possibly being most common. The thing common to G scale is the gauge, 45mm.

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I don't have Thomas material, so can't make a comparison, but I wondered if those 'BMS' wagons you sometimes see being sold off by dealers are comparable - anyone able to comment?

ThomasDadDurham

Really Useful Engine
16 Jul 2023
County Durham
Best answers
Country flag
The problem is that G scale isn't a scale. The actual scale may vary from 1:22.5 to 1:29, 1:25 possibly being most common. The thing common to G scale is the gauge, 45mm.
Blimey, I expected the variation to be from >1:22 to <1:25. Didnt realise some lines hit 1:29 which is close to the Gauge 1 of 1:32(?) :eek:. I guess the most important thing is wheel/chassis height for my scratchbuilding intentions. Im sure someone will have a comparison to the Thomas line on here.

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Blimey, I expected the variation to be from >1:22 to <1:25. Didnt realise some lines hit 1:29 which is close to the Gauge 1 of 1:32(?) :eek:. I guess the most important thing is wheel/chassis height for my scratchbuilding intentions. Im sure someone will have a comparison to the Thomas line on here.
And, of course, in the US we also call 1:29 and 1:32 "G Scale" instead of Gauge 1. Well, many of us do. That's standard gauge US mainline models running on 45mm gauge track. Bachmann is actually helping here by referring to "Large Scale" in a catalog section and then showing that some of the Spectrum line are 1:20.4 and the US mainline locos are 1:29 scale and 45mm gauge. That's progress, I suppose.

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
Keith - Im still waiting on my joblot of engines to arrive, been watching your vids to get ideas of their expected size. But with some Thomas rolling stock and eBay purchases arriving ahead of them, I now realise people are using G Scale and Gauge 1 rather too interchangably on there! Pic:
View attachment 316146

Do any companies models scale with our Thomas rolling stock, or is the Thomas line its own completely unique scale? I had been hoping I could scratchbuild more variety of troublesome trucks, but now Im not sure what to look for if at all now.
Would you or anyone seeing this know: are LGB trucks the same rough size (~100mm wide ~40mm wheels)?
You might try kits for gauge 3 rolling stock but modify and fit 45mm gauge axles:wheel sets

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 316146

The Thomas stuff is as near as you can get to Standard Scale in so called G scale, they can and are converted to Gauge 3 running on 63.5mm gauge for standard gauge. Running them on 45mm tracks means that they are running around Metre Gauge hence the ‘odd’ look when viewed from the front on the track. LGB messed with scales to get 750,760, Metre, 3.6” and standard gauge all on 45mm track. Commonly known as their ’flexible’ ruler!

My Gauge 3 lineup, note the third rail at 63.5 with the other rails being 45mm gauge. The green open is a Bachmann Thomas one.
IMG_7195.jpeg
Now showing how I have converted a Clarie or Annie Coach to Gauge 3.
IMG_6621.jpeg