Lash Up Railking 2-8-8-8-2 Triplex, 4-8-8-4 Bigboy

main131

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
2-8-8-8-2 Triplex and 4-8-8-4 Bigboy with a lash up making an impressive sight as they pull away with a mile of twin bogie hoppers.
Railking and it’s digital command system (DCS) makes this function very simple to operate using their hand held remote in conjunction with the track interface.
Each loco, with a tractive effort of around 135,000lb.would command power of titanic proportions.
One can only surmise that the strength of the couplings must have been the ‘Achilles heel’ rather than available power.
Thanks to MTH for making these engines available in 1/32 scale. Anything larger would certainly make operating very difficult, if not impossible.
Please check out the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MIob5ruhpg

[attachment deleted by admin]

Lordraglan274

Too much of a good thing is nearly enough.
25 Oct 2009
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Best answers
Country flag
That is really impressive Trevor, I like the rear exhaust on the Triplex (hopefully this works on analogue as well)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
main131 said:
One can only surmise that the strength of the couplings must have been the ‘Achilles heel’ rather than available power.

Please check out the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MIob5ruhpg

Isn't this why some helper locos are often cut into the middle of a train?

T'riffic video:admire::admire:

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
131 that is absloutely stunning! very nice, please keep sharing...

main131

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
tac said:
Excellent Vid with great sound! As you know, the Erie Triplex locomotives never headed up a train - they were pushers, but it still looks good!

Best

tac
http://www.ovgrs.org/ < Link To www.ovgrs.org

Hi TAC
As I understood it, the Triplex was designed to be powerful enough to dispence with the necessity of a second or third engine. If this is true, then surely the engine would be at the front.
Regarding Lord Raglans comment re. the smoking stack at the rear of the tender, this stack had an extention which was not on the engine when I did the video. I found it since in the bottom of the box!! Here is what it should look like.
Knowing L Rag I suspect he is already saving up and yes, it does smoke on analog.

Lordraglan274

25 Oct 2009
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yes you guessed correctly.....one is definately on the wants list here after seeing the video, but no one has one in stock at the moment, so it will have to wait until after Christmas. Maybe a double header then with the Big Boy on the rear, just like they never did.

Syd.

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
whenever i see such things, it reminds me that RR in europe sometimes seem to be a bit toy-style.
Its sick to hang on such weights on a loco. i always wondered if in the US, physics have other rules... :D

but its THAT impressive those monster-locos.

Im a bit puzzeled about the positive comments on the genuine triplex.
i would have thought that going reserves of water and coal (oil) would make the backdrive part of the loco ineffective. it has no load than the tenderload!

regs

Frank

main131

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Lordraglan274 said:
Yes you guessed correctly.....one is definately on the wants list here after seeing the video, but no one has one in stock at the moment, so it will have to wait until after Christmas. Maybe a double header then with the Big Boy on the rear, just like they never did.

Syd.

Hi Syd One thing that has not been mentioned here is the 'Quillable Smoking Whistle'
This feature is most unusual and I have not previously seen this from other manufactures.
Go into menu on your hand held' select the appropriate (soft key) settings and not only can you wail the whistle but you will also blast out steam (smoke) from the actual whistle.
This is sheer drama and unlike your previous 'electric' experiences, this engine will give you new levels of excitment!

Lordraglan274

25 Oct 2009
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Best answers
Country flag
If you do know of one in a British shop, please let me know. I expect you had the last one, or the only one !

main131

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I got mine from Mathew at GRS.
Talk to him nicely and he may give you a special price!
Mention me and that I understood he had another one on order.
I also understand that MTH made a limited quantity of these, but I might let mine go in about 10 years time!!
your old friend main131

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
if you ever have a lash up with two triplexs leading and a big boy banking make sure we get to see it!!!

Yes I had read that whilst an absolute beast in 1:1 scale its ability to make steam never really matched up to the rest of the machine, and because of this after initally piloting, the triplex ended up almost always at the back pushing under 10mph. but who cares? it is a gorgeous model that's for sure!!!!

131- have u got some pics or video of more of the track set up? Interested as to how you accomadate these fantastic creatures!

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
Now, that's what you call impressive in looks and sound!

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
[/quote]

Ian, if you get on to Youtube and search mainlinethurnby or main131, even neil robinson or tac followed by accucraft, garratt, shay, bavarian, lyn, berkshire, big boy you'll find oodles of stuff showing Trevor's layout.

tac
http://www.ovgrs.org/ < Link To www.ovgrs.org
[/quote]

I will. I could be gone a while :)

Lordraglan274

25 Oct 2009
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Tac, I may give them a look in a few months when we have enough cash to actually pay for a Triplex.
Like Main131 we love large locos here, but unlike the Thurnby super three track main line we have a long single track. If you look at the first 'Fundenhall' video there is a shot of our Big Boy running.

Syd