Knuckle coupler height issue

cvcanada

Registered
Country flag
I have two new Bachmann EMD GP40 large scale modern diesel locomotives 1:29 scale (item number 91903) that I want to pull a few cars with each. The first car is a Bachmann Big Haulers Jackson Sharp coach (item number 92711). The stock knuckle couplers on each are at different heights and keep uncoupling.

I thought to convert to hook & loop couplers which have always been more reliable for me (and I don’t care that they don’t look as prototypical. Reliable is more important to me.) But I can’t get them to fit on the GP40. Is hook & loop possible on the GP40?

Alternatively, should I stay with knuckles and adjust the height somehow? It’s about a half inch mismatch. Styrene shims to angle the trailing coupler up to match the GP40?

Thanks,
Curt


IMG_0016.png
 
Maybe try Kadee couplings. You get a height gauge with those....
 
Last edited:
Check Kadee site https://kadee.com/ They usually have a fix (conversion) for everything. Usually by messing around with the coupler height "offsets" each coupler is made in. They will offer a coupler mount, body or truck , and then 3 different "offsets" (coupler height in relation to mount") to get things to match up. I'm surprised your Bachmann GP40 does not marry up to your Big Hauler stock, with its Aristocraft origins. My experience when I started out 20 odd years ago was that USAT, Aristocraft, Bachmann (Big Hauler) and LGB (US prototype) knuckler coupler heights were all the same. Bachmann & Aristocraft knuckles never gripped each other that well but same height.

Example - USAT 1:29 standard height coupler (1:24 model originally !) replaced with a Kadee "large offset" truck mounted coupler conversion (on left) - Bachmann "Spectrum" NMRA Fn3 (1:20.3 scale) standard height coupler (on right). Looking at your picture a medium or even large offset on the Big Hauler would fix. But then you really need to fix the GP40 don't you, and Kadee do not do "negative" offsets ? You might want to pack, as you have suggested, the GP40's coupler mounts to lower it to match your Big Hauler stock if practical.

20230311_101010.jpg
 
Last edited:
I have two new Bachmann EMD GP40 large scale modern diesel locomotives 1:29 scale (item number 91903) that I want to pull a few cars with each. The first car is a Bachmann Big Haulers Jackson Sharp coach (item number 92711). The stock knuckle couplers on each are at different heights and keep uncoupling.

I thought to convert to hook & loop couplers which have always been more reliable for me (and I don’t care that they don’t look as prototypical. Reliable is more important to me.) But I can’t get them to fit on the GP40. Is hook & loop possible on the GP40?

Alternatively, should I stay with knuckles and adjust the height somehow? It’s about a half inch mismatch. Styrene shims to angle the trailing coupler up to match the GP40?

Thanks,
Curt


View attachment 361708
I tend not to use hooks on locomotives, if you can live with that making a loop is a pretty simple diy job.
 
Back
Top Bottom