Kirtley Works

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hope you don't mind me dragging this photo across from t'other side.

Kevin

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East Mids
Best answers
Country flag
Looks really good Chris

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Looking good Chris do like your Rock Island GP40 :)

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
A Short History of Kirtley Works

For many years this was the loco workshop for the Kirtley Valley Railroad. It was on a short spur from the main line for the railroad. Some of you may remember Shays and other logging locos coming here to be serviced. Smiths logging company also had a yard here. For those of you who don’t remember old photos can be found here http://www.sol.me.uk/shows/blackburn2005/photos/kirtleyvalley1.html and here http://www.sol.me.uk/shows/blackburn2005/photos/kirtleyvalley2.html .

As time went by the logging business changed and the steam locos were replaced by diesels which meant that both the works and the yard were closed. A community had grown up around the works however and the people who lived there had engineering skills. Happily new factories and yards opened up and the short line survived the ups and downs of the railroad business.

We see it today as Kirtley Works. Much of the trackwork is at is was in the old days but all of the buildings are new. The owners of the shortline have to use second hand locos which are getting on a bit but the engineers who work on them take a pride in keeping them clean and in good order. The owners respect the heritage of these locos and have them painted in their former railroad liveries.

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Now whilst the above is fictitious it is also kind of true. The layout was Pete Smiths Kirtley Valley Railroad. He kindly donated it to Warley club for us to do something with it. Removing Pete’s buildings was difficult for me because I knew mine would not be to such a high standard but eventually I got on with it. And got to where we are today.

As for my excuse for running locos in heritage liveries – well there is a growing trend amongst short lines in America do repaint there beloved old warhorses into heritage liveries. This is common on scenic railroads but is it is also happening on plain old freight lines as well.

My jottings for the track plan are shown below

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Had do do a bit of planning for the traverser

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
Chris,

did you ever think about using the ready made rails for furniture drawers?
i saw that in some forum.
that guy used drawer rails and simple bolts (as for sheds or gates) for alignment.
the bolts doubled as electric contact for the tracks on the traverser.

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
With the exhibition on 21st & 22nd November tonight was the last chance to hold a test running session. Next week it gets packed away ready for transportation to the NEC.

S4 worked fine

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Its very much a shunting layout. If you come along to the NEC you might get a chance to have a little drive. This is pretty much the whole layout

Mousey

Registered
1 Nov 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Very impressive.

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Pretty much ready for the exhibition now. The Kirtley fleet have been gently weathered and had their wheels cleaned.

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
<font color="#000099"><font size="3"><font face="arial,helvetica,sans-serif">A lovely collection of locos and structures Chris. Well done! Even so I keep thinking of 0-6-0's when I see the name Kirtley. ;)
</font></font></font>