KeithCo Locolinc KT-16 (circa late 90's)

rpiboy01

Registered
9 Dec 2021
Greater Boston MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Hello all!

I'm new to this party. Long time HO guy, however this summer I inheirted a small "g-scale" (really a mix of large scale stuff) from my wife's grandfather. Collection has been untouched for nearly two decades. He had installed (paid for, not himself) the KT-16 control boards in the three locos I've got. The first one I'm working on is a Bachman 4-4-0 America (also circa late 90's). It appears to have a Sierra Soundtraxx board and the Locolinc controller, conviently the installer put a sticker on with the loco address.

I've confirmed at the bench that all of the lights work. I've also confirmed that the motor is operational, by bypassing the control board and directly connecting a DC powerpack to the motor leads.

The KT-16 controller powers on when I put a 9v battery in, buttons all "seem" to work.

Here's the rub, no idea how to tell the controller I want to control the Loco to find out if it works. I thought I'd be able to just plug in the four digit address but that does not seem to be the case. I've reached out to the current Locolinc company and he was going to see if he could fine a KT-16 manual to mail me. I can't find anything online.

Is anyone able to tell me how to use the system to at least confirm the R/C is still operational? If it is, for now I'd like to leave sleeping dogs lying. Would love to put DCC in the loco(s) but as you all know that is not a cheap investment.

Also looking for input on battery packs (assuming the R/C still operates). I don't have any of the original battery packs. Suggestions or input on voltage/amps? Where to procure?

Thank you all, and I apologize if some of this is basic, as I noted, jumping into the large scale arena for the first time.

rpiboy01

Registered
9 Dec 2021
Greater Boston MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Greg,

I agree, company is still in business. I don't have a manual it was not in the material I received from the estate (and I didn't find it when cleaning stuff out). KeithCo is looking to see if they can find anything, but it sounds like it will be physical, not digital. I really just want the basics to determine if I can control the loco, happy to wait on the manual (assuming they find one) to learn all the nuts and bolts. Was hoping someone here might have used or still uses the system and could give me the short "synopis".

Regards,

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
If you get stuck, I have a local friend I can point you to that has used Locolinc.

So Keithco has nothing to do a simple test? Weird.

Let me know if you strike out, email me and I'll get you my friend's contact info.

someone did post a link to a manual he had copied, but it was back in 2009, and the internet wayback machine has not archived that page.

Greg

rpiboy01

Registered
9 Dec 2021
Greater Boston MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Greg,

While I greatly appreciete KeithCo offering to look for and mail me a manual, they did not provide any additional advice.

I assume you're referncing the thread on MLS where there is a dead link to what appeared to be a tif file. I was planning to post on MLS too, just had to start "somewhere" after exhuasting various internet search permutations.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, I tried on that link, but it was in the user file space, most of which got killed when the owner sold the forum to Vertical Scope.

Anyway, I gave Robert a reference to a friend who still runs LocoLinc (and does installs) so we will see.

Greg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum. Have you a name we can use or do you want to known as rpiboy01? As you have found out, this forum is a fund of knowledge which is happily shared. Just beware of the awful jokes, the humour is very British

rpiboy01

Registered
9 Dec 2021
Greater Boston MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks to Greg for his connection, got everything running tonight, though it seems like there was also a loose connection. That said, being armed with knowledge makes it much easier!

As to name, Robert is in the sig, I've used rpiboy for many a year.

I'm ok with Brit humor, much to my wife's dismay ;-)

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Where in Eastern MA are you? I am in Norton and have a club called Rusty Rails and Rotten Ties and we have largescale indoors and outside.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Terry,
I recently acquired some ancient Locolink sets..
The old KT2. Would you have any information on these?

MMany thanks,
PhilP.