James' Splendid New Red Coaches

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways & more caving. Fan of TTTE
1 Jan 2011
Bromsgrove
wychboldandstokepriorrailway.blogspot.co.uk
Best answers
Since joining the Wychbold and Stoke Prior Railway loco fleet poor James has never had any suitable coaches to pull. So he was nearly always relegated to pulling goods trains.
Recently two brand new shiny splendid red coaches arrived on the railway and now James' dreams have come true and he can pull passenger trains!

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Since joining the Wychbold and Stoke Prior Railway loco fleet poor James has never had any suitable coaches to pull. So he was nearly always relegated to pulling goods trains.
Recently two brand new shiny splendid red coaches arrived on the railway and now James' dreams have come true and he can pull passenger trains!

Poor James having to deal with dirty trucks from dirty sidings. Presumably the totallythomas lot did the repaint for you? Could not see any details on their Webb site but possibly I was looking in the wrong place.

I have a couple of these coaches as supplied with faces, one will be converted to a station building old coach used theme. The other has been had the face and nose removed, resprayed and now runs on gauge 3. I used Halfords BMW Imola Red 11 with a Primer Red undercoat. Seen below the emerging coach fleet of the AR&BB light railway.
52164FF6-8AE1-41F7-BBC1-E295A5BDD88C.jpeg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag

Very smart, and doesn't Jammes look chuffed

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
They look to be a really useful addition to your fleet of rolling stock.
:blush:

PhilP

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways & more caving. Fan of TTTE
1 Jan 2011
Bromsgrove
wychboldandstokepriorrailway.blogspot.co.uk
Best answers
Poor James having to deal with dirty trucks from dirty sidings. Presumably the totallythomas lot did the repaint for you? Could not see any details on their Webb site but possibly I was looking in the wrong place.

I have a couple of these coaches as supplied with faces, one will be converted to a station building old coach used theme. The other has been had the face and nose removed, resprayed and now runs on gauge 3. I used Halfords BMW Imola Red 11 with a Primer Red undercoat. Seen below the emerging coach fleet of the AR&BB light railway.
View attachment 304494
Your coaches look great.
The red coaches are a new addition to the Thomas range. They are not widely available in the UK. In fact the only place I could find that stocked them is Totally Thomas. Delivery was very quick and p&p was only £5.
The only thing I do not like is the phoney silver windows on the end of the brake coach. It may have to go into the workshop.

Last edited:

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
I googled those red coaches because I'd like a brake with duckets. At something over C$120 per, + p&p, it'll have to wait :worried:.
They do look good on the W&SP :)

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Your coaches look great.
The red coaches are a new addition to the Thomas range. They are not widely available in the UK. In fact the only place I could find that stocked them is Totally Thomas. Delivery was very quick and p&p was only £5.
The only thing I do not like is the phoney silver windows on the end of the brake coach. It may have to go into the workshop.
The small one is a Sixteen Milks kit of a West Somerset Light Railway 1st/2nd/3rd Brake Coach including the Guards Compartment, quite a lot for such a small coach. I have interest in the WSMR spending Holidays in Watchet so such a useful vehicle readily found a place for my AR&BB light railway.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
I googled those red coaches because I'd like a brake with duckets.
You can get a ducket from Smallbrook Studio, as part of their conversion kits to make Thomas a real model. I added one to my LMS brake conversion.
And I still think those coaches look better on 6-wheel frames, like the Emily coaches.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
You can get a ducket from Smallbrook Studio, as part of their conversion kits to make Thomas a real model. I added one to my LMS brake conversion.
And I still think those coaches look better on 6-wheel frames, like the Emily coaches.
Well worth a look at their site, quite a few interesting bits n bobs for our and 16mm scale.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Yes they do some nice stuff
Love their Roland Emmet stuff. With £ at near parity with the $, there has never been a better time to buy and ship from the UK. Was there really a time when it was $2 to the £. Long time ago when I first got into this hobby.

Chris, if you want a complete coach with a ducket take a look at this maker Lasercut Freelance Coach Range | IP Engineering there are others that work in different scales, using similar methods and materials. Max

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Love their Roland Emmet stuff. With £ at near parity with the $, there has never been a better time to buy and ship from the UK. Was there really a time when it was $2 to the £. Long time ago when I first got into this hobby.

Chris, if you want a complete coach with a ducket take a look at this maker Lasercut Freelance Coach Range | IP Engineering there are others that work in different scales, using similar methods and materials. Max
Yes there was 2€ to the pound rate, probably at the back end of last century. A pal of mine had his trip to the States just at the right time and lived like a King things were so cheep in comparison.

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Yes there was 2€ to the pound rate, probably at the back end of last century. A pal of mine had his trip to the States just at the right time and lived like a King things were so cheep in comparison.
I think I remember US$3 to the pound

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
there has never been a better time to buy and ship from the UK.
Last time, when the Brexit thing was making the exchange rate equally favorable, we bought a few things and had them shipped. I seem to remember a Regner Chaloner or two . . .
What to buy this time? Or wait a few days until it gets true 1:1 parity?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Oh that would be a very long time back, 1960’s or 70’s?
In 1972 it was about $2.40 to £1, as that made 1 UK penny (old money) worth 1 cent.

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Way, way back there were around £4 to $1. This, so I was told, was why a half-crown (2s 6d) coin was referred to as half a dollar.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Way, way back there were around £4 to $1. This, so I was told, was why a half-crown (2s 6d) coin was referred to as half a dollar.
At the begining of the twentieth century it was $5.00 =£1.00 or thereabouts :)

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
At the begining of the twentieth century it was $5.00 =£1.00 or thereabouts :)
I’d heard the UK govt was going to go back to pre decimal currency ,but have only five shillings to the pound!
That way 2shillings and six pence would be half a dollar

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I bought £1000 of stuff in 2 batches from the States at that time. Not only was the exchange rate brilliant but so too were the USA prices and USPS shipping rates. It also helped that my son was living in Seattle and had “additions” to his baggage whenever he came home. I bought 2 Bachmann Annies for the princely sum of £27:80 apiece.:)