Isle of Man railways, the Foxdale coach

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
At some point I would like to model the Foxdale coach, as if I did not have enough part finishe/unstarted projects, but try as I might I am unable to find a clear photograph showing its current ie original livery. I read somewhere that it is purple lake but all the images I have found appear as variations on black!
When I visited the railway a few years ago it was not in original livery
Does anyone have a shot which shows it clearly or can quote the paint colour reference please?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
It's current livery is what I thought was the Manx Northern colour scheme which is a 'dark purple lake' with cream panels - however, having read Ian Allan's 1960 guide, I now think that livery is an early IoMR livery

Whether that is its original livery is debatable because the Foxdale Railway was a line on its own for the first 19 years, after which it was absorbed by the IoMR.

Ian Allan says (in 1960) that the Manx Northern livery (then listed as closed) was varnished teak for the 6w coaches and IoMR livery for the bogie coaches with a note that the Foxdale brake was 'now brown'.

There are a couple of google images of it in brown - both 1:1 and modeled, but what it was before the 1960 statement 'now brown' is hard to know.

Last edited:

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
It's current livery is what I thought was the Manx Northern colour scheme which is a 'dark purple lake' with cream panels - however, having read Ian Allan's 1960 guide, I now think that livery is an early IoMR livery

Whether that is its original livery is debatable because the Foxdale Railway was a line on its own for the first 19 years, after which it was absorbed by the IoMR.

Ian Allan says (in 1960) that the Manx Northern livery (then listed as closed) was varnished teak for the 6w coaches and IoMR livery for the bogie coaches with a note that the Foxdale brake was 'now brown'.

There are a couple of google images of it in brown - both 1:1 and modeled, but what it was before the 1960 statement 'now brown' is hard to know.
I saw that that its current purple livery was supposed to be based on the “original” purple lake. As you have indicated it seems not be definitive. I must say that I prefer the idea of purple, it’s a bit different to to norm! :)

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
MNR livery was 'polished teak' at the opening of the railway in 1879, but by 1899 was being described as 'Chocolate lower and creamy white panels', and being similar to LNWR purple lake and cream; the IMR had started using this livery in 1886. The Foxdale coach, being supplied to the MNR in 1886, was probably in polished teak, and then painted in what we IMR enthusiasts call 'the posh livery' later.

The IOM 15mil Group website suggests Phoenix Precision P379, LNWR Coach Plum, or P171 L&SE Dark Brown as being good matches for IMR / MNR Purple Lake.

Assuming the cover of the IOMSRSA magazine is a current photo (they usually are), then the Foxdale Coach is currently in plum & cream livery (coach just behind the loco):
1578820227175.png

Reactions: 1 users

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Great, thank you. Just the detailed info I was looking for.
Plus, that pic shows the precise train I am looking to depict.:D

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, that's the livery that is fairly bountiful in Google searches - a bit odd against Caledonia's livery ;);)

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Great, thank you. Just the detailed info I was looking for.
Plus, that pic shows the precise train I am looking to depict.:D

No problem. There's usually a prototype for any Manx train consist if you look long enough!

If you are going to be at the National Garden Rail Show this April, drop in at the IOM15mil group stand: we'll have examples of Manx passenger stock, some of which will be in purple lake and cream like this repainted Accucraft 'pairs' coach:

1579115261685.png

I'm not sure there will be a Foxdale Coach, although there's at least one out there:

1579115342263.png

(both images from IOM15mil Group website)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
If you are going to be at the National Garden Rail Show this April, drop in at the IOM15mil group stand: we'll have examples of Manx passenger stock, some of which will be in purple lake and cream like this repainted Accucraft 'pairs' coach:

1579115261685.png

I'm not sure there will be a Foxdale Coach, although there's at least one out there:

1579115342263.png

(both images from IOM15mil Group website