phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
The attached set of pics illustrate installation of a MD mXion PWD function decoder into a LGB 3068 Restaurant Car. Installation into any of the LGB 3x67x series passanger wagons should be just as easy. Hope you find this useful.

3068 mXion PWD - 1.jpeg3068 mXion PWD - 1 _1_.jpeg3068 mXion PWD - 1 _2_.jpeg3068 mXion PWD - 1 _3_.jpeg3068 mXion PWD - 1 _4_.jpeg3068 mXion PWD - 1 _5_.jpeg3068 mXion PWD - 1 _6_.jpeg3068 mXion PWD - 1 _7_.jpeg

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I like the ease of installation of these mXion PWD decoders in the appropriate LGB passenger wagons. I installed the remaining three decoders I had ordered in LGB 3067, 3267, and 33670 wagons today.

The only thing I found somewhat disappointing was that the lighting was noticeably dimmer with the new decoders. I did some voltage checking while I was installing the decoders today. It's not a fault in the decoders. The decoders do provide 5V (measured 4.99V with the lights on) to drive the lights. A check of two of the wagons before being modified today showed the original LGB electronics had a loaded output voltage of 8.6V going to the lights. This explains why the 5V, 33 mA nominal LGB/Märklin bulbs, part no. E130023, are significantly brighter with the original electronics. It also explains why I had to replace 6 bulbs that I found burnt out in the course of installing the decoders.

The mXion PWD decoders are rated at 1A and each function output will also handle up to 1A. I've ordered some 5v, 60mA bulbs from Mouser expecting they will be quite bit brighter than the LGB bulbs. Each 3067 type wagon has four bulbs in the ceiling. The current draw will just about double to around a quarter of an amp per wagon with the new bulbs which I still find acceptable. The table lamps in the 3068 Restaurant Wagon look fine with the original 33 mA bulbs, but I will change out the ceiling lights in this wagon.

I'll provide another update once I get the new bulbs.

Last edited:

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I got the new 5V, 60 mA VCC #6150 bulbs today. The Mouser stock number is 606-CM6150. The following is a pic of the bulb with a LGB 5V 33mA bulb on the right for comparison.
5V bulbs - 1 _1_.jpeg

The leads are a bit smaller diameter and need to be trimmed on the VCC bulbs. Once trimmed, the bulbs plug into and are held by the LGB sockets without any problems.
These bulbs have restored the brightness I was familiar with to the LGB wagons. All the wagons in the pic below have the mXion PWD lighting decoders installed.

5V bulbs - 1.jpeg

The wagon directly behind the loc on the right has the original LGB 5V, 33 mA bulbs. The other three have the VCC 5V, 60 mA bulbs.

I really like these lighting decoders. The VCC bulbs took care of the only issue I had with them. I'll be ordering another 6 to convert the remaining LGB passenger wagons I have where the mXion PWD is a direct replacement for the existing lighting boards.

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
Good write up! I've just had 6 arrive this morning from Germany to play with along some other goodies :)