Important notice re: certifying live-steam gas tanks testing.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Then it's me failing to uderstand the difference. Club/Soc insurance is all site specific (often through Walker Midgley), but with all the ones I have dealt with down many many years, the public liability part is transferable for paid up members.

I insure my own locos through Walker Midgley via the 7 1/4" Gauge Soc scheme (same as 16mm etc), with which I can arrange Public Liability if I wish. I choose instead to use my M.E.S one.

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
16mm Society sends a copy out with the new renewal year Journal/magazine..
Simples.

What, who, when, where, why, it covers is a different matter.. :(:confused:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
THIS is what I mean - from the club committee last night, after I sent them the copy of the 16mm Association insurance policy -

Quote in part -

The insurance is not an issue.
The issue is making sure as a club we comply to the new rules
Because an insurance certificate says it covers something, it does not mean that something is safe and it is the clubs responsibility to make sure that it is safe according to the health and safety executive.
That is what the change in regulations are for.
As I said we are not 100% sure what it means we need to do at the moment so everyone can run as normal.
As a club we have no choice but to comply.
How we comply is still unknown.
Personally it would be great if we didn’t have to do anything at all as it just means more work and hassle for people, but it is not what we personally think. It is what we will be required to do and I don’t make the rules.

We are going round in circles, folks.

I think it's time we called a halt to this thread - we are not getting anywhere, and tying ourselves up in knots while we are doing it. The whole thing is now much more complicated than it was when I began the thread. Many thanks to all who contributed in any way.

tac

Reactions: 1 users

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
16mm Society sends a copy out with the new renewal year Journal/magazine..
Simples.

What, who, when, where, why, it covers is a different matter.. :(:confused:
Joined not long ago, no copy for me!

Trainman 864

Registered
24 Sep 2015
Best answers
Country flag
Joined not long ago, no copy for me!
So download your own copy from the association downloads page, like I did.

tac
The copy from the association downloads page does not quote you by name. Your personal copy quoting your name comes on the reverse of the covering letter enclosing the association publications.

Not a good place for it IMHO - as I'm sure some must get thrown away with the rest of the packaging.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The copy from the association downloads page does not quote you by name. Your personal copy quoting your name comes on the reverse of the covering letter enclosing the association publications.

Not a good place for it IMHO - as I'm sure some must get thrown away with the rest of the packaging.

Latest SMT came today..
The information that it is there is in BIG text below your address! - Couldn't be much clearer?

DSC01636.JPG

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
It is very silly, when the cans the gas comes in are are far weaker than those in the locos and the boiler pressure of locos are similar to those in car tyres. The only possible injury would come from bits of a broken sight glass being blown out. The only 16mm or G scale locos I've seen have a boiler blow out were Mamods when the plastic glass softened. If carrying small quantities of butane gas around in week containers was a big problem they wouldn't sell disposable gas lighters. The biggest accidents I've seen at shown have been meths fires.

Last edited:
24 Jan 2010
Porthmadog, North Wales
www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
... and the boiler pressure of locos are similar to those in car tyres.
Which is an excellent and very valid point, thank you. Right, I'm off now to get my car's tyres hydraulically tested...

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Next:
... License introduced for party balloons.. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 users

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
At indoor shows the biggest hazard to life seems to be the coal and gas fumes causing asthma attacks.

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
We refrain from running coal fired indoors with our local group and we keep meths fired to a minimum at some venues due to the fumes. I have asthma and yes when the room gets a bit fumed up by an alcohol fired model(I do own one myself), I sometimes have to find my inhaler or go for a walk away from the layout for a few min. Gas fired engines do not bother me one bit fumes wise. Mike the Aspie